Series mod for Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
skkipi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Series mod for Jaguar

Post by skkipi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:55 am

Hi, I'm going to rewire my 1966 Jag to this "in series" mod with strangle swith (upper scheme). But I want change bridge pickup instead of neck pickup to work with the rhytm circuit. Is it possible? Thank you.

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:11 am

hey guys

has anyone implemented the upper scheme with the rhythm circuit for both pickups ?

I did it but there is something wrong. When not using the rhythm circuit, if I roll may volume down, I am still getting volume...

Any ideas what could be the cause ?

Cheers
Fabz

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 pm

I did the series/parallel mod a decade ago from that very diagram. It's really the best mod for a stock Jag ever, and you get to keep the strangle switch, if you're into that kind of thing.
Offsets and flangers

rosshulio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rosshulio » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 am

I just wanted to say that I've got the series mod on my jag and I use that position the most. It's usually the only setting I find can a use for low cut switch too. I also like the humbuckers in series, it sounds huge.

I'd recommend anyone to do the series mod to a guitar with single coils. I have modded my tele to have a strat pickup in the middle and 5way switching. I'd like to include a series setting too but the start versions I've seen seem a bit clunky.

Ross

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Resurrecting with a question: could this be done in a 3 pickup switching arrangement (like a Cyclone II) where two RWRP pickups were set up for series/parallel and the third would just be standard parallel on/off?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm

I believe so. Never done one like that, and you'd likely have some dead spots, but it should be possible.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:I believe so. Never done one like that, and you'd likely have some dead spots, but it should be possible.
Thanks. As I'm thinking about it, the problem might not be dead spots so much as being unable to have the third pickup on by itself. Will have to think on this a bit more.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

I'll mess with it a little myself. From what I've seen making some of the schematics for people, the problem isn't always getting things to work right, but frequently to get them to work right in a certain type of switch. Sliders tend to be the most complicated, unless you want a ton of sliders. Honestly, a Jaguar with like 10 sliders WOULD be pretty cool, but I know most people want mod electronics without having to rout a guitar or get a different pickguard.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:I'll mess with it a little myself. From what I've seen making some of the schematics for people, the problem isn't always getting things to work right, but frequently to get them to work right in a certain type of switch. Sliders tend to be the most complicated, unless you want a ton of sliders. Honestly, a Jaguar with like 10 sliders WOULD be pretty cool, but I know most people want mod electronics without having to rout a guitar or get a different pickguard.
Cool. Thanks. This is a BilT Relevator LS, and I will have to get a new guard, so the options may be fairly open there if current body routing allows, but the plate options are more limited. WIth a Zaftig, I could work with some of the Faction Electric rhythm circuit plates. One weird detail is that the middle pickup will be a different single coil than the set in the neck and bridge, so both the neck and middle are RWRP relative to the bridge. All combinations sound good now on standard on/off sliders, but it would be fun to work in a GO! switch somewhere, whether a S/P option or a controls bypass.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Gavanti wrote:Cool. Thanks. This is a BilT Relevator LS, and I will have to get a new guard, so the options may be fairly open there if current body routing allows, but the plate options are more limited. WIth a Zaftig, I could work with some of the Faction Electric rhythm circuit plates. One weird detail is that the middle pickup will be a different single coil than the set in the neck and bridge, so both the neck and middle are RWRP relative to the bridge. All combinations sound good now on standard on/off sliders, but it would be fun to work in a GO! switch somewhere, whether a S/P option or a controls bypass.
I'm really pissed at myself because a few months ago I had drawn up a 3-way Mustang style slider (8-lug, DP3T) to do on/off/out-of-phase. I've been trying to come up with ideas for those switches as they're very handy, but weird mods for them are few and far between. I'm also confident I could come up with a on/off/series option to fit on one too. I know that Faction makes a rhythm circuit plate that has a 2-position slider spot and 2 3-position slider spots on it...

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote: I'm really pissed at myself because a few months ago I had drawn up a 3-way Mustang style slider (8-lug, DP3T) to do on/off/out-of-phase. I've been trying to come up with ideas for those switches as they're very handy, but weird mods for them are few and far between. I'm also confident I could come up with a on/off/series option to fit on one too. I know that Faction makes a rhythm circuit plate that has a 2-position slider spot and 2 3-position slider spots on it...
A 3-way switch might open some options. What I'm thinking could be done with a pair of 2-way sliders and a 3-way slider, right? The 2-ways wired like the Jag S/P mod here; then sum output of those to a 3-way wired like a selector switch: 3rd pu only/3rd pu+others/others only. I think this is basically what the Yamaha SA503TVL does with a pair of 3-way toggles to enable its independent middle pickup. I'm trying to decide if this would just be awkward.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm

That might be possible. I designed a schematic a year or so back that had 2 3-way toggles: one for the regular B/B+N/N, and the other for middle only/everything/the first toggle switch. It would work pretty cool if you really want that middle only thing. You could do exactly that with 2 3-way sliders as well, and then a 3rd slider for series/parallel or phase stuff.

mywhitenoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mywhitenoise » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Can someone who has done this mod post pictures of the wiring on their main switch plate?

I'll have to buy new switches for my American made guitar? Can someone link me to the specific model I'd need?

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 pm

magnificent studios wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 am
Is this a worthwhile mod...I mean are the two pickups in series a usable sound?

I found this diagram on the Short Scale forum. I like how it doesn't mess with any of the Jag's current tones, and am thinking of giving it a try (without the phase switching). I hardly ever leave both pickups "off" anyway.

Resurrecting this thread - I tried this mod over the weekend but it didn't work.

I'm trying it with Creamery Sonic 60s, (which come with a separate baseplate groundwire as stock) and it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure it's a grounding issue - the lead circuit is crackly, and the both on in series position doesn't work. (I.e. it behaves like stock.)

Waiting on a reply from Jamie from the Creamery. I (perhaps naively) thought the black wire was the 'bridge pickup ground' on the diagram, and the red baseplate ground just goes to a grounded point of the circuit.

Does anyone have any experience with Creamery pickups who might be able to advise, or have I completely misunderstood the wiring diagram?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 pm
Waiting on a reply from Jamie from the Creamery. I (perhaps naively) thought the black wire was the 'bridge pickup ground' on the diagram, and the red baseplate ground just goes to a grounded point of the circuit.

Does anyone have any experience with Creamery pickups who might be able to advise, or have I completely misunderstood the wiring diagram?
Looks like you got the colour code right ...
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/cust ... codes.html
White/Cream = Hot
Black = Ground
if there is a seperate Red wire, this is a seperate ground for the baseplate to ensure 'in-phase' with other manufacturer pickups.

So maybe it is your wiring ? Do you have internal shielding, or any other points where a hot could short to the shielding or adjacent ground ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.