Guitar Fetish Full Scale Jaguar Build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Guitar Fetish Full Scale Jaguar Build

Post by gerardguey » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:12 pm

Hello all, havent posted on this forum since my old account a decade ago in high school, and im excited to rejoin the offset guitars community.

After a decade of building tele partscasters and longing for a good jaguar (but put off by the shorter scale), I finally began to slowly accumulate offset parts last summer for a Jazzmaster build. Then the idea popped in my head that so many have had before: Could I build a full scale Jag?

After some research (and a sale on Guitar Fetish on a metallic copper JM body) I decided to jump the gun and try it. This post here was the catalyst and helped me figure out a lot, so shout out to the OP. It's been a rough process, so I'm hoping publicly announcing my plans will motivate me to keep building lol, as well as gather any helpful advice offered.

After drilling the bridge post holes for a JM and making sure a JM Pickguard fits, I bought a cheap MIA Jag pickguard to see the differences and what I'd need to change. Despite the overall shape being the same, a Jaguar's neck pocket placement was lower than a Jazzmaster's so to my pleasant surprise the bridge would not have to be moved as far back as I initially thought. My plan was to move the entire pickguard down to match the body shape, move the bridge pickup down about 3/8 in, as well as make the bridge posts a rectangular notch to allow for the JM bridge placement. I bought a blank jaguar pickguard to cut the holes myself, but the gap between the neck cavity and the top of the pickguard was still too large to align all the plates with the larger GFS cavity arrangement. The swimming pool route should be easily modded to allow for the pickups, but I'll be routing out the rhythm cavity and adding some wood to install the switch plate.

One botched and modified 62 pickguard from WD Music later, I decided to go all in on designing my own. After a lot of tracing, scanning, measuring, cutting, and recutting, I eventually settled on a pickguard layout that did not elongate the original Jaguar pickguard shape/size, and kept the jag pickup distance and proportions as much as possible. It took a lot tweaks to get since all the references I pulled had different plate shapes, and i ended up having to ever-so-slightly tilt the control plate outward to match the body shape.

After a few more changes to bridge notch placement, as well as moving the pickups around a little more to fit with a 22 fret Squier neck, I cut out my final version and did a quick mock up with the pickups added in and all the plates/knobs. (Ignore the tele neck heel, it was the only rosewood neck I had lying around lol)

Image Image

So there you go. I regret trying to make this a "cheap" project for my first offset build (since it hasn't really been cheap figuring everything out lol), but I'm in too deep to start over.

If it's a successful project, the pickguard should hopefully work on any JM body so I'll redo it again with a quality parts. Any feedback from true offset lifers would be appreciated, hoping this still doesn't look off and has the authentic Jaguar "vibe" when it's all together. If anyone has a good custom pickguard place who can work from a PDF that they recommend, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Telecasters are so much easier to deal with...
Last edited by gerardguey on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Elusive (Budget) Full Scale Jaguar Build

Post by windmill » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:25 pm

you have done some good work there

Alaways been curious about a full scale jag, so looking forward to seeing this when it is finished.

:)

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:39 am

This looks very promising :w00t:

Funny, I've always assumed XGP bodies were smaller than regular JM bodies, but from your pics it looks like they're actually the same size?
Create art, not content

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:08 am

LVC wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:39 am
This looks very promising :w00t:

Funny, I've always assumed XGP bodies were smaller than regular JM bodies, but from your pics it looks like they're actually the same size?
The shape is pretty much identical, I compared it to my affinity jazzmaster and it fit a standard MIM jazzmaster pickguard. They did used to have a different generic offset shape for their "JM" bodies that I am glad they abandoned. My only complaint is that the edge radiuses are kinda choppy in some areas and you can really tell with the metallic finish. But for a $90 finished body I can't complain too much. Though if you do plan to actually put in JM pickups you need to route out the swimming pool cavity a little more as it's not long enough.

Funkee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Funkee » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:38 pm

Nice work! I've been thinking of a similar project, so thanks for sharing your solutions to some of the problems with building a full-scale Jag. Looking forward to seeing yours when it's finished.
Good deals with: Kracdown, 2fLAz, Britfingers, Stereordinary, Reynman, Jay

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:08 pm

That doesn't look half bad. Much better than Fender's latest attempt at a full-scale Jaguar.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:45 pm

Oh! So, this is you on Reverb!

I saw that and have been drooling since!

So, lemme ask... If you move the bridge post holes down to where they would be on the JM pickguard, does the lead control plate not fit the existing route?

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:16 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:45 pm
Oh! So, this is you on Reverb!

I saw that and have been drooling since!

So, lemme ask... If you move the bridge post holes down to where they would be on the JM pickguard, does the lead control plate not fit the existing route?
Haha, it is me indeed! I didn't share on here because I didn't know the rules about posting stuff for sale but I had a feeling whoever was looking for offset stuff will find it.

The pickguard is elongated in the neck pocket area to fill a jazzmaster and so that the lead control plate is low enough to fit the existing GFS body route. The bridge posts are placed in the same place as a JM, so if I wanted to abandon this project I could still easily make this a JM guitar.

The lead control plate does fit with the placement shown, but IMO could have used a bit more angle to fit more naturally the contours, and I might need to widen some areas for the pots in the body cavity. After I got the pickguard and got the wrong color, I decided to just redo it exactly to specs of the body I have. (hope Im making sense lol)
Last edited by gerardguey on Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:43 am

gerardguey wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:08 am

wait, what's that other one? A Squier Affinity? Looks slick with those closed covers and the upgraded saddles etc

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:52 pm

Yep, got a steal from Proaudiostar on the burgundy mist last year. I changed the plastics with closed covers and some old strat parts I had lying around for a 90's "Jazzmaster Plus" look, since I always loved the look of lace sensors on those old teles and strats.

After adding a steel trem block and steel saddles, it's a hell of a guitar. Love those pickups as well. The color is odd in that in that it looks awful and brownish in photos, but more vibrant and pink-ish in person.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:01 am

gerardguey wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:52 pm
Yep, got a steal from Proaudiostar on the burgundy mist last year. I changed the plastics with closed covers and some old strat parts I had lying around for a 90's "Jazzmaster Plus" look, since I always loved the look of lace sensors on those old teles and strats.

After adding a steel trem block and steel saddles, it's a hell of a guitar. Love those pickups as well. The color is odd in that in that it looks awful and brownish in photos, but more vibrant and pink-ish in person.
Yeah I dig it. I too like the "Strat plus" look. I kinda want one so I can chuck a Wilkinson tree on it.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:09 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:01 am
Yeah I dig it. I too like the "Strat plus" look. I kinda want one so I can chuck a Wilkinson tree on it.
Thanks. I definitely recommend this model. I was also surprised by the full sized pots and the quality of the switch and jack. Might refinish in duplicolor before the winter.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:36 pm

Had to pause this build for another guitar project that was a gift, but Im back baby! The pickguard I ordered from WD just arrived, did some rough bridge post holes with my round file so I could mock up with the jag pickups.

In the end, ordering a complete custom cut pickguard proved to not be cost effective for the minor edits I made, so I instead ordered a modified version of this pickguard with the neck pocket moved up 3/8", the bridge pickup slide down 1/4", and no bridge post holes so I can create them myself. Came out to $63 with shipping. The black pickguard above I ended up selling had similar mods, but was the wrong color (clearly) and model to better fit the plates I had. I also moved the pickup slighter higher from that one to keep the short scale illusion with pickups slightly closer together.

The one thing I didn't account for was the left screw near the control plate being so close to the bridge, I am not liking the placement of it after moving everything else. Also the gap between the bridge and the bridge pickup still feels too far, ruining the short scale illusion I am trying to create. Because of this, Im ordering a string mute that I am hoping I can install decoratively and keep permanently disengaged, to cover the screw as well as make the gap look smaller.

I am a designer/artist by trade, so I made a mockup using scale drawings of a JM and Jag showing how the guitar will hopefully look when completed. The neck I have coming is an import CBS Strat neck with a wide nut, so I included it in my mock up. The neck will be 22 frets to keep the jaguar proportions.

The neck should be coming in next month, as well as some new tools I've needed to replace for a while, so should have it all together early to mid September. I never use the rhythm controls so I'm not going to route out those cavities and just have them be dummy controls, at least for now. If this build goes well, I'd like to go all in on a NOT cheap full scale jaguar build and custom order a neck and body in a "proper" faded candy apple red/orange next year.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:50 am

I'm digging this... I'm getting GAS... :w00t:

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:41 am

Making good progress! Now just add a middle pickup and have what the strat should have been. ;)
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay