Using Non-Specific Repro Decals When Refinishing a Guitar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Using Non-Specific Repro Decals When Refinishing a Guitar

Post by Surfysonic » Wed May 24, 2023 3:49 pm

Squier logo redemption project #2 almost done...

Before...

In its current state after a sand down and trying out Gracey's Vintage Finishes Dark Sherwood Green. I like it much better than the previous Sherwood Green they had (now known as Light Sherwood Green)...

Wet sanding in 2 weeks...can't wait to put this one back together! :)
Last edited by Surfysonic on Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri May 26, 2023 7:40 pm

Having unique personal headstock logos that look professional are pretty cheap. I use Rothko & Frost for mine. I’ve bought necks on eBay that are not Fenders but have the logo. One quick look at the back of the heel quickly identifies them for what they are.

ShortyMedlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ShortyMedlock » Sun May 28, 2023 1:50 am

My legal first name is only a couple letters different than Leo's last name so I'm going with that on my two offset projects.

Plus I will use the space on the back of the neck, in the pocket, to ID the builder and date.

This world has too many frauds in it to do less... :P :P

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun May 28, 2023 2:08 pm

For myself I got the rule to not alter them to deceive others (or myself). So changing a Squier to Fender or even "Custom Shop" Fender - wouldn't work for me (I guess everyone has seen one of those on their own local market ads) - I find it honorable to still call it a Squier after a refin - and walking the extra mile to find a repro decal even more so - but I don't know if I'd do the same. If it was basically the same guitar, just refinished or only the headstock matched: yes.

But if you're just using the neck as a part that got nothing to do with the rest of the build - why would I?

In fact I picked some of the finest parts - and just couldn't find a better suited neck for the project than a Squier CV 70s Jag neck.
for which I paid ~130€ , while it also sports a Rexter custom made and beautifully painted top bound body (600-ish), Mastery Vibrato (200ish), Staytrem Bridge (90) Custom Pickups (250).
I would have picked an Allparts or similar neck if they'd offer Bound necks right now (with or without Blocks), or a Musikraft neck - if shipping and customs wouldn't have added another 150-200 on top.

So on this build the neck is roughly 1/10 of the guitar's worth (while if you let someone build a guitar for you it might be about 1/3). Why would I (be obliged to) put a Squier (or Fender or Allparts) logo on the headstock and not (let someone) apply my own custom decal? Isn't that exactly the freedom you get with interchangeable parts that allow for realizing your dream guitar that Fender (and Squier) just wouldn't build like this?

In my case they (two builds like this) both tease the Fender Font - but their names are titles of songs I composed (Liquid THUNDER and Estrella DESTRUIDA).

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:20 pm

Apologies for the necro-thread revival but wanted to share that I sanded down the headstock again (to remove the amber tinted clearcoat in order to apply another shell pink matching headstock refinish with a repro Squier J Mascis Sig Jazzmaster decal to my Squier J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster. Unfortunately, there was still some amber clear bleeding through (thought I got it all sanded off :fp: ) but at this point, I can live with it. At least the correct decal has been added and I'm happy to have the matching headstock again. Thanks again to CROSS_guitars for recommending Voodoo Decals in the Squier Decals thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=127053&hilit=Squier ... ster+Decal. :)

Also, I'll never get rid of this admittedly insanely modded Squier J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster. The Novak JM-HC pickups are really outstanding. :-*

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 pm

That looks awesome. Honestly the older 80's squier logo looks great, esp on a matching headstock or a neck with heel truss rod adjustment, it's my favorite decal. I'm happy there's definitely more Squier decal options now, I've used Luthier Decals in the past, but they dont always have the ones I want.

I put an old 80's Squier Bullet decal on my 60's sparkle Tele build that's currently my main guitar. It's 90% fender parts with an All Parts neck. Im building a Jaguar with a custom built neck, and Im planning on putting a custom squier decal on that one.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:30 am

gerardguey wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 pm
That looks awesome. Honestly the older 80's squier logo looks great, esp on a matching headstock or a neck with heel truss rod adjustment, it's my favorite decal. I'm happy there's definitely more Squier decal options now, I've used Luthier Decals in the past, but they dont always have the ones I want.

I put an old 80's Squier Bullet decal on my 60's sparkle Tele build that's currently my main guitar. It's 90% fender parts with an All Parts neck. Im building a Jaguar with a custom built neck, and Im planning on putting a custom squier decal on that one.

Thanks! Cool, I'll bookmark Luthierdecals.com as another resource. Awesome sparkle Tele build! 8)