Question for anyone with SD P-Rails

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question for anyone with SD P-Rails

Post by berlinbetty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:35 am

...do they sound radically different in parallel than just split into either p-90 or single coil mode?

I've always heard that wiring a humbucker in parallel gives you a single coil sound. For years, I've been skeptical, but yesterday I finally tried it. I have two GFS mini-humbuckers in my Jazzmaster and installed two on/on/on mini switches for series/split/parallel. The difference in sound between split and parallel is almost non-existent, but I don't know if that's true for every humbucker.

I've been thinking about P-Rails with Triple Shots, but if parallel sounds too similar to either of the single coil options, I won't bother. I'll save the $55 and just use the three position switches I just bought and just have p-90/humbucker/single coil.

Also, I've heard that the humbucker position in P-Rails is muddy. Thoughts?

Thanks! :)
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question for anyone with SD P-Rails

Post by hillerheilman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:54 pm

I did not use them with the p-rails, but I have experience with the triple shot switches. They’re a pretty cool way to accomplish those mods but in my opinion aren’t worth the trouble. I have a set on one of my guitars and I can tell you that you have to be EXTREMELY careful when you’re wiring them and putting them onto the body, as they are fragile. I myself broke two sets trying to install them and my tech broke another. If I were doing it again I’d steer clear of them and try to accomplish the same thing another way.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 am

hillerheilman wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:54 pm
If I were doing it again I’d steer clear of them and try to accomplish the same thing another way.
Interesting! Thanks for the head's up.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:36 am

berlinbetty wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:54 am
You only need 2 mini switches, or even micro ones if you want them discreet, to offer all the combinations of the P-Rail. Or even only one, if you're ok with ditching one of the bobbins independently (you'd get series/single coil/parallel). ;)
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am

Gordon wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:36 am
berlinbetty wrote:
You only need 2 mini switches, or even micro ones if you want them discreet, to offer all the combinations of the P-Rail. Or even only one, if you're ok with ditching one of the bobbins independently (you'd get series/single coil/parallel). ;)
By all accounts, the "rail only" option is just there for marketing purposes. It's a tiny, weak, blade polepiece/bar magnet coil advertised to sound like a "classic strat-like" tone in order to sell the triple shot rings, which are only really worth it if a humbucker has two coils that are each worth using individually. A narrow rail/bar magnet pickup has absolutely no physical characteristics in common with a strat pickup, and nobody seems to really like it on its own.

P rails basically seem worth it if you really like P90s and relatively hot humbuckers, because the P90 on its own is supposed to sound like a proper P90, but P90s are about twice as hot as single PAF coil, so when you combine it in series with a second coil, you get a pretty high inductance humbucker. Like most high inductance humbuckers, it seems to get a very usable tone in parallel mode, but many high inductance humbuckers with asymmetric coils behave similarly.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:11 am
By all accounts, the "rail only" option is just there for marketing purposes. [...]
I agree with that, that's why I mentioned the single switch option. ;) P-Rail user often want the full array of options, but for what I've seen, mostly stick to a couple, the most usable ones. One switch is enough.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am

Gordon wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am
mbene085 wrote:
By all accounts, the "rail only" option is just there for marketing purposes. [...]
I agree with that, that's why I mentioned the single switch option. ;) P-Rail user often want the full array of options, but for what I've seen, mostly stick to a couple, the most usable ones. One switch is enough.
Totally agree on all counts. I think most people who buy them want the versatility they advertise, so they want the options. Then, they learn the rail coil was false advertising. If they're a "single coil" type of person, they probably then use the P90 and parallel modes, and if they're a "humbucker" person, the series and P90 modes.

One 3-position switch is enough to get all of the tones worth using, for sure.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:28 am

mbene085 wrote:
Gordon wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:36 am
berlinbetty wrote:
By all accounts, the "rail only" option is just there for marketing purposes. It's a tiny, weak, blade polepiece/bar magnet coil advertised to sound like a "classic strat-like" tone in order to sell the triple shot rings, which are only really worth it if a humbucker has two coils that are each worth using individually. A narrow rail/bar magnet pickup has absolutely no physical characteristics in common with a strat pickup, and nobody seems to really like it on its own.

P rails basically seem worth it if you really like P90s and relatively hot humbuckers, because the P90 on its own is supposed to sound like a proper P90, but P90s are about twice as hot as single PAF coil, so when you combine it in series with a second coil, you get a pretty high inductance humbucker. Like most high inductance humbuckers, it seems to get a very usable tone in parallel mode, but many high inductance humbuckers with asymmetric coils behave similarly.
Yes. Yes and yes!
The Rails are really weak - cool for some sounds (can't argue if they are Strat-ish as I don't like them aesthetically and therefore hardly ever play one) but out of the options I have available I clearly prefer the P90s.

Never having tried the parallel mode I must say I'm really tempted now.

In series the Rail seems to "steal" a bit of the sparkle of the P90 and add a little more belly to it - giving it a tiny bit less output and a little more bottom end.
Muddiness is relative. I have 1 Meg pots and a treble bleed installed - so even tuned to Drop C# it's not getting muddy to my ears.

If you're doing the wiring yourself and have a little time and patience - try all the options and stick with those you prefer.
Mine had two mini on-on-on switches (and the rhythm circuit abused as a separate volume/tone control for the neck pu) for individual control of the options - now I'm back to one (and a rhythm circuit) and more than happy! So one mini toggle or a combination of slide switches and push-pull pots should be enough!
Overall: great pickups! Very versatile to me. But I have no guitar that can do coil splitting at hand (only have one other HB guitar at all) so I can't really compare it in that matter.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:07 am

Excellent feedback! Thanks to all.

If I do go the P-Rails route, I'll most likely try the series/p-90/parallel option first.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:04 pm

I have a set of them with two slide switches to change modes (same wiring as two mini toggles but out of the way). Those give me HB in parallel/rails in parallel/P-90s in parallel/HB in series. Plus the selector switch to choose bridge/both/neck. I do like them in all modes but prefer the P-90 mode most of the time. What I would like to have is rails in series to give them more oomph. Maybe I'll think about that one day.

Sklivas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sklivas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 pm

I recently bought an SG that came with P-Rails... I'd rather have good HBs or good P90s. They are just okay at both, and very bland for the blade. They are very hot in series, and sound decent in parallel.

I think I'll get a nice HB for the bridge and leave the P-Rail in the neck. Each pickup having 4 different options is just too much for me, especially when only a few are any good.
HIGH SPEED, AMPED UP AND LOUD