Something Offset 2: Electric Boogaloo

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Something Offset 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by mbene085 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:28 pm

hillerheilman wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 pm
Thanks! I was honestly really hesitant about using purpleheart since I’m not that big a fan of purple. But I’m told it actually ages into more of a reddish brown over time. Not sure if it’ll do that with nitrocellulose on it, but between that and the brown stain we’re planning to use on the back I think I’ll be satisfied with the end results.
It really does fade to brown. Exposure to light and air are the key. The finish will more or less seal it to air, but not light, so it'll still gradually fade.

Here's a purpleheart board that sat exposed to air a while, vs a fresh cut:

This is a really cool project to see some together, much like your last one.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:54 pm

More progress. Things are coming together...

Neck shaping is basically done. Went with a somewhat asymmetrical neck profile that’s similar to a boatneck and slightly less thick on the bass side. Not dramatically so, however. All that’s left to do before routing begins is to round over the back edges and do a slight bit of contouring.

Last edited by hillerheilman on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:55 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:28 pm
hillerheilman wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 pm
Thanks! I was honestly really hesitant about using purpleheart since I’m not that big a fan of purple. But I’m told it actually ages into more of a reddish brown over time. Not sure if it’ll do that with nitrocellulose on it, but between that and the brown stain we’re planning to use on the back I think I’ll be satisfied with the end results.
It really does fade to brown. Exposure to light and air are the key. The finish will more or less seal it to air, but not light, so it'll still gradually fade.

Here's a purpleheart board that sat exposed to air a while, vs a fresh cut:

This is a really cool project to see some together, much like your last one.

That’s really reassuring. I can definitely live with that kind of result. Thanks for sharing.