Partsmaster No.1 (My First Project)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Partsmaster No.1 (My First Project)

Post by mb123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 am

Hey everyone,

I hope you're all keeping safe and well. This is my first partsmaster project build and I thought I'd share it with you.

I’ve had a spare neck lying around for a few years from an old Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special, which I used as the starting point for my project.

Ultimately, this thing plays like a dream, sounds ridiculous, and the neck is surprisingly comfortable.

Apologies in advance for the lack of pictures throughout the process, but I jumped the gun and started working on it before thinking about documenting it!

Everything went pretty smoothly until it came to installing the pickguard, as the bridge thimbles didn’t line up with the cut out (d’oh!), so I got to spend a while filing them down. (It’s not a pretty outcome, but it’s not noticeable until the bridge is taken out. (Luckily, forgot to take pictures of this part...)

I've got a set of Klusons on standby, but the stock tuners are surprisingly sturdy.

You’ll notice that there are some cosmetic changes between the pictures… The bridge, chrome knobs and black plastics arrived the day after the rest of it, but I couldn’t resist stringing it up and playing it in the meantime.

Anyway, here’s a guitar I assembled that I hope you like!

I honestly just have no idea what I'm doing, really.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Partsmaster No.1 (My First Project)

Post by Embenny » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:59 am

Nice work. The prototype gold guard look has always been my favourite variant of sunburst and you did it well. Never seen it with a maple look, but it's very "what could have been" given that strats and teles were purely maple necks up to that point. I like it!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mb123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 am

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:59 am
Nice work. The prototype gold guard look has always been my favourite variant of sunburst and you did it well. Never seen it with a maple look, but it's very "what could have been" given that strats and teles were purely maple necks up to that point. I like it!
Thanks so much! :)

I haven't seen one with a maple neck before but that tends to be my preference over most rosewood/laurel/pau ferro/etc, though I do like ebony. Glad it turned out how it did!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Looks great. I like the pickguard with the body. Also the black pickup covers do it justice. Then the only thing I'd change would be the switch and trem arm tips to black to match the black pickup covers.

mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mb123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 am

Rgand wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:03 pm
Looks great. I like the pickguard with the body. Also the black pickup covers do it justice. Then the only thing I'd change would be the switch and trem arm tips to black to match the black pickup covers.
They're still in the post! I'll put up another picture when I've got them, haha! ;D

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:01 am

Nice one! The first Jazzmaster prototype had a maple neck, black pickup covers and tele knobs (and an anodized guard, if black) whereas the first production model had the sunburst, the gold guard and switched to a rosewood neck, so this could be some alternate history transition guitar between prototype and first production.

If you had to justify your choices of aesthetics and materials, which I don't think you have anyway.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mb123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 am

Ceylon wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:01 am
Nice one! The first Jazzmaster prototype had a maple neck, black pickup covers and tele knobs (and an anodized guard, if black) whereas the first production model had the sunburst, the gold guard and switched to a rosewood neck, so this could be some alternate history transition guitar between prototype and first production.

If you had to justify your choices of aesthetics and materials, which I don't think you have anyway.
Thank you! It's definitely '58-inspired', didn't realise the prototype actually had a maple neck!

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 am

mb123 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 am
Ceylon wrote:

Thank you! It's definitely '58-inspired', didn't realise the prototype actually had a maple neck!
Now that I looked a bit deeper into it the FIRST first prototype actually had some sort of rubberized fibreboard fingerboard, but this neat pre-production model came with a maple one at least.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mb123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:45 am

Ceylon wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 am
mb123 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 am
Ceylon wrote:

Now that I looked a bit deeper into it the FIRST first prototype actually had some sort of rubberized fibreboard fingerboard, but this neat pre-production model came with a maple one at least.
That is ridiculously cool...

Jazzmackster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmackster » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:58 am

Sunburst with gold pickguard and maple :?

mb123
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mb123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:06 am

Jazzmackster wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:58 am
Sunburst with gold pickguard and maple :?
One of my favourite combos!