How Do I Combine Johnny Marr and American Pro Circuitry

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
tr@shM4gik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

How Do I Combine Johnny Marr and American Pro Circuitry

Post by tr@shM4gik » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:56 pm

I'm planning a jaguar build with two 2-way switches and a 4-way selector switch. I wanted to replace the second "bright" switch with a phase switch like that of the AmPro jag. After looking at both wiring diagrams, could I just wire up the second switch like how it is on the AmPro or would I have to do some modifications to the wiring?

Here are the two wiring diagrams:

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How Do I Combine Johnny Marr and American Pro Circuitry

Post by timtam » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 pm

I have a Marr/Am Pro-style PV65 jag - 4way plus phase switch with 1meg pots but no bright/strangle switches.

If by 'second bright switch' you mean the series bright, then you omit that Marr switch wiring and bridge the input/output connections where the switch was, so you still have the series selection on the 4 way (as in the Am Pro).
Then you add the phase switch to the bridge pickup. Before doing that, you need to add a separate ground for the claw, as shown in the Am Pro diagram (also done on the neck pickup). Snip the little wire linking the pickup ground wire to the claw, and then add a new ground wire just for the claw ground. Ground the claw wire to any convenient ground point. Then connect the wires to flip the phase of the bridge to the (Marr series bright) DPDT, as shown in the Am Pro diagram.

Easier to see that on the two schematics than on the wiring diagrams ...

Marr jag:

Am Pro jag:
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

tr@shM4gik
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: How Do I Combine Johnny Marr and American Pro Circuitry

Post by tr@shM4gik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:22 pm

timtam wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 pm
I have a Marr/Am Pro-style PV65 jag - 4way plus phase switch with 1meg pots but no bright/strangle switches.

If by 'second bright switch' you mean the series bright, then you omit that Marr switch wiring and bridge the input/output connections where the switch was, so you still have the series selection on the 4 way (as in the Am Pro).
Then you add the phase switch to the bridge pickup. Before doing that, you need to add a separate ground for the claw, as shown in the Am Pro diagram (also done on the neck pickup). Snip the little wire linking the pickup ground wire to the claw, and then add a new ground wire just for the claw ground. Ground the claw wire to any convenient ground point. Then connect the wires to flip the phase of the bridge to the (Marr series bright) DPDT, as shown in the Am Pro diagram.

Easier to see that on the two schematics than on the wiring diagrams ...

Marr jag:

Am Pro jag:
Thanks!