Duo-Sonic neck questions (again I suppose...)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
KidVictrola
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Duo-Sonic neck questions (again I suppose...)

Post by KidVictrola » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 am

Hello all

I'm a new poster, looking for some infos I didn't find on the forum already.

I've got a Squier CV Duo-Sonic that I love, and also a Fender Jagstang (2000 reissue).

The Duo-Sonic shape is my favourite ever, but the Jagstang neck is my favourite ever : very narrow nut, and a 7.5 radius.
See me comin' ? :shifty:

I know I can't put a regular 24 inch scale neck on a Squier Duo Sonic, cause the Duo is designed for it's own "conversion-ish" neck with different fret spacing.

But my question is :

Does anyone know if the new Fender Duo Sonic HS and SS (which are 24" scale/22 frets) could receive a Mustang/Jaguar/Jagstang 22 frets neck ?
I'm thinking Fender Duo Sonic body, and the closest neck I could find to a Jagstang one...

Or Duo-Sonics are definitely supposed to have only Duo-Sonic necks ?

Also, would it be a problem to put a 7.25 radius neck on a 9 -or more- radius designed guitar ?

Thanks if you have some inputs...

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duo-Sonic neck questions (again I suppose...)

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:28 am

KidVictrola wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 am
Hello all

I'm a new poster, looking for some infos I didn't find on the forum already.

I've got a Squier CV Duo-Sonic that I love, and also a Fender Jagstang (2000 reissue).

The Duo-Sonic shape is my favourite ever, but the Jagstang neck is my favourite ever : very narrow nut, and a 7.5 radius.
See me comin' ? :shifty:

I know I can't put a regular 24 inch scale neck on a Squier Duo Sonic, cause the Duo is designed for it's own "conversion-ish" neck with different fret spacing.

But my question is :

Does anyone know if the new Fender Duo Sonic HS and SS (which are 24" scale/22 frets) could receive a Mustang/Jaguar/Jagstang 22 frets neck ?
I'm thinking Fender Duo Sonic body, and the closest neck I could find to a Jagstang one...

Or Duo-Sonics are definitely supposed to have only Duo-Sonic necks ?

Also, would it be a problem to put a 7.25 radius neck on a 9 -or more- radius designed guitar ?

Thanks if you have some inputs...
There's a lot of debate about the CV neck being a conversion neck. If I were you I'd take a ruler and measure the distance between the neck heel and bridge on your CV and the distance between your Jagstang neck and bridge. If they are the same (give or take a few mm) you'd know if they are swappable.
The offset series parts are interchangeable so the duo body should accept any normal 24" neck be it Jaguar, Bronco, Mustang or otherwise.
A lot of guitars run mismatched bridge and fretboard radii, plus the Duo-Sonic has saddles that can be height adjusted. Nothing to worry about.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

KidVictrola
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by KidVictrola » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks !

I can't compare right now cause the two guitars are not in the same place, but I will...

I assumed the necks were not swappable based on what I've read here and there, but also from a fellow guitarist who tried a mustang neck
on his squier Duo, and told me the intonation was completely messed up...increasingly from low to high frets

Good news about the offset series being interchangeable... that might be the way to go, so

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:14 am

Measure both necks from the nut to the 12th fret and from the nut to the bridge saddles, plus nut to the neck heel. Then you'll know.
Measure the exposed width of the neck heel next to the body to check that the pockets are the same, though I'd guess they are, good to verify though.

KidVictrola
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by KidVictrola » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 am

Right, thanks.
I'll make the measurement and share them here, cause that can be interesting information...

My main idea would be to create a third guitar, and keep the other two assembled..

KidVictrola
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by KidVictrola » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:49 am

I haven't had the time to do my own measurement on my jagstang, but I have found on the squier talk forum a very useful resource :
http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/want ... eck.86071/
just in case you guys don't know it

it shows measurements of a whole bunch of fender/squier shortscale necks, and compare them (see the table on the bottom of the pdf)
I compared the measurement with my CV duo sonic and it matches.

For exemple it explains why the Jagmaster II 21 frets neck is considered a conversion neck : it almost is, but only almost.

On the jagmaster body, the neck gives a 24.069 scale, and it has a distance of 6.819 from the body/neck joint to the bridge saddles.
While a 25.5 scale designed body will have 7.08 between body/neck joint and saddles, which is very close, but probably too big a difference to make things work

also shows that regular 24 inch scale jaguar/mustang/jagstang 22 frets necks are all 17.75 long, with a required neck joint/saddles distance of 6.25, which is shorter than jagmaster, CV duo sonic etc.... hence non swappable necks...

sorry if this is common knowledge, I'm just starting to dig in fender's swap bap loo bop world :freako:

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm

jvin248 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:14 am

Measure both necks from the nut to the 12th fret and from the nut to the bridge saddles, plus nut to the neck heel. Then you'll know.
Measure the exposed width of the neck heel next to the body to check that the pockets are the same, though I'd guess they are, good to verify though.

Perfect answer 👍
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:23 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm
jvin248 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:14 am

Perfect answer 👍
Beter check that neck pocket as they could well be different. There are rumours about those CV Duo necks...
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay