Custom Jaguar inspired by Johnny Marr Jag

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sphinks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Custom Jaguar inspired by Johnny Marr Jag

Post by sphinks » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:53 pm

I want to share with you some photos of my first build. About half year ago I got a chance to buy Jaguar style guitar kit (DIY kit with painted body) from person who does not have an idea how to build it properly and give it a chance.

As a prototype, I decided to take Johnny Marr Jaguar with a 4-way switch and 2 bright switches. Next, I consider adding additional switch from American Professional Jaguar - phase switch. It gives me a clear vision of the hardware I need.

That is what I originally get.

Quite an interesting setup. Gibson style bridge, 2 start pickups. Lost one string, no idea what all switches was doing, crap parts, but as for me it has a good mahogany body and unfinished neck (no idea what type of wood), but it was crafted well (fret job was good).
Stripped it down. Awful metal parts:

2 tuners was not working at all:

Some scratches at fingerboard:

I cannot put off pickguard, because of bridge pins that were pushed on top of the pickguard.

Have to cut pickguard (anyway it should be replaced).
It appears to be routed for P-90 and get some interesting way to support the pickguard with an extra screw.

What was done:
1. Neck finishing.

Finishing it with Danish oil (about 6-7 coats):

2. Fingerboard polishing and fix dents.
3. Bridge holes was drilled incorrectly (holes was too close so new bridge could fit in old holes) - I have to refill them and re-drill.
4. Tremolo cavity was drilled in a wrong way (not inline with bridge) - I have nothing to do with the cavity, except redrill holes to setup as straight as it is possible.
5. Put a ground wire from tremolo.
6. Rewire the whole schema, initially using old pickups. (It was not so easy, I spend a lot of time to create that complex schema. Thanks, to guys from Strat talk who helped me)

That is the look after that step:

7. Increase depth of cavity for 4 way switch to fit it.
8. Throw away all crap parts of pickguard (including fake metal plates) and put some effort into creating a new one from 1 piece:
start with Jazzmaster blueprint
Original size does not fit my kit guitar, so I have to redraw it from scan of original pickguard. I found a guy who is able to create custom pickguards and he helped me a lot with creating the blueprint of my pickguard:
I consider to add some details to pickguard to make it really custom and put some surf (it is surf green guitar, right?) style picture. Next, I send it to create a custom pickguard. Here is the result:
9. Assemble everything using new pickguard.
10. Discover a lot of noise from pickups, unassemble everything and paint cavities with shielding paint.
11. Assemble once again and get the final look:

The guitar holds tune well even in case of using the tremolo for deep dives. 4-way switch: BRIDGE, BOTH PARALLEL MODE, NECK, BOTH IN SERIES. 2 way switches (from top to bottom): bright switch (all positions), additional bright switch (4th position only, summarize effect with previous one), phase switch.

In terms of hardware, I was trying to build it with quite good but not expensive components:
Original kit $140.
Fender Adjustable Saddle Bridge with Thimbles for Mustang Japan Jaguar and Jazzmaster Guitar ($24)
Oak Grisby 4-way switch ($13)
Fender Vintage Jaguar Pickup Set (Used for $52)
Wilkinson Deluxe Vintage style tuners 1:15 ($23)
Jaguar style tremolo ($32)
Yuker roller string tree ($1)

I get also CTS pots (cost $14 for 2), but original was smaller ones and they do its job well (as 2-way switches) so I reuse them. All other electronic components I get from the local store. In total about $350.

What I need to finish:
1. Some guide how to setup all that pieces together with jaguar bridge (neck relief, strings height, bridge height). I managed to some basic tune, but strings look for me too high and the 6th one is making some buzz already. Any links?
2. Optional: replace plastic nut with tusq one. I get TUSQ 5042 nut, but seems nut cavity is too deep for it, so strings are lying on the frets. Seems like I need some blank tusq peice and finish it to my sizes. Or fill nut cavity with some material and sand it to proper height for using factory ready TUSQ. Any advice?

P.S. I have several build videos, not so many photos, so I want to compile video and post it also. I hope that posting the story of the build will push me to create videos ASAP. :)
Last edited by sphinks on Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:53 am, edited 9 times in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Jaguar inspired by Johnny Marr Jag

Post by timtam » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Your images from strat talk are blocked by strat talk unless one is logged in there. Nice looking guitar BTW.

General and some JM-specific setup instructions for relief etc here ...
https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/art ... -properly-
Set up order ...
0 Tune to pitch
1 Set relief per Fender instructions.
2 Nut slots (set 1st fret action) - file if you have the tools.
3 Saddle/bridge height - set radius with saddles (just high enough so strings clear screws and bridge walls); set 2 bridge height screws for desired 12th fret action.
4 Pickup height - set bridge pickup height and then adjust neck pickup height (usually lower) to match bridge output.
5 Intonation

Your trem doesn't have a lock but you are trying to achieve the a neutral spring position ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

More set up details here ...
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... rs-jaguars

While shimming the neck is often recommended, if your action is already too high you may not have room to do that (as it will require raising the bridge further).

If your nut plays OK I would suggest you keep it.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 am

Get to the point when writing. You have paragraphs of non relevant content. Write shorter and you will get more replies.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

sphinks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sphinks » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:16 am

ChrisDesign wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 am
Get to the point when writing. You have paragraphs of non relevant content. Write shorter and you will get more replies.
Good point. Clean up my post a little bit.

sphinks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sphinks » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 am

timtam wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:51 pm
Your images from strat talk are blocked by strat talk unless one is logged in there. Nice looking guitar BTW.
Thanks for a note about pictures - have uploaded it to another hosting, so it should be available now.
timtam wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:51 pm
General and some JM-specific setup instructions for relief etc here ...
https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/art ... -properly-
Set up order ...
0 Tune to pitch
1 Set relief per Fender instructions.
2 Nut slots (set 1st fret action) - file if you have the tools.
3 Saddle/bridge height - set radius with saddles (just high enough so strings clear screws and bridge walls); set 2 bridge height screws for desired 12th fret action.
4 Pickup height - set bridge pickup height and then adjust neck pickup height (usually lower) to match bridge output.
5 Intonation

Your trem doesn't have a lock but you are trying to achieve the a neutral spring position ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

More set up details here ...
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... rs-jaguars

While shimming the neck is often recommended, if your action is already too high you may not have room to do that (as it will require raising the bridge further).

If your nut plays OK I would suggest you keep it.
Thanks for the links, I will check it out.