Fender Jazzmaster Traditional MIJ Pickguard

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Sanguine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jazzmaster Traditional MIJ Pickguard

Post by Sanguine » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:26 am

Hello, good people!

After a year of heavy usage my scratchplate started to crack so I'm in for a new one.

Has anyone dealt with changing a pickguard on this particular series of MIJ jazzmasters (pink paisley or blue flower)?

P.S. I already tried one of them cheap Chinese pickguards supposed to fit Japanese Fender but it doesn't.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jazzmaster Traditional MIJ Pickguard

Post by ChrisDesign » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:18 am

Sorry. I’ve only seen them on ali express, and they are worthless. Buy an American one and, if needed, drill new screw holes.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:39 am

MIJ fits that specify that's what they fit are available (others say MIA only). Look for those providing hole-to-hole spacing diagram and check against what you have. Traditional JM may or may not be different to other MIJs.

You can also send a tracing of yours to custom pickguard vendors and they will tell you if the templates they work to will fit yours. Some will send you a scaled PDF to check.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:41 am

Allparts generally fits Fender Japan instruments.

American guards are a bear to fit properly; the thimble holes are placed differently (yes, really) and require quite a bit of elongation, and there are shape differences overall where the transition from the upper section to the thimbles is.

How bad is the crack? I'd be attempting a fix with superglue (and some very light wet-sanding if the join line is particularly obvious) given it's a paisley model - replacement guards are unobtainium for those AFAIK unless you luck out and find one on Stratosphere.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 am

I want to resurrect this thread... Recently i came across a youtube video of a guy who swapped his blue flower pickguard with a mint green one. Looked good. I commented on his video asking a bit about the pickguard and he said he got it off reverb (stratosphere). This to me seems like a cheap jazzmaster pickguard should fit fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x62wc_1 ... Nqsm-e-duu

i don't know, but if anyone has any more clue about what type of pickguard fits these paisley / blue flower models, i would love to find out more.