This project took me 12 years to finish, but it is finally done!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

This project took me 12 years to finish, but it is finally done!

Post by astro » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:40 pm

It’s a Bass VI

12 years ago, I wanted a bass VI, and there were no options other than Fender’s custom shop or vintage at the time. I could afford neither. This was before the Squier and the Pawn Shop models were released. I decided to build one. I started collecting parts, had all the parts by around 2012 but then I bought a house, had kids, went back to school and basically the project went on the back burner. This year I decided to do a quickie paint job with Krylon satin Sea Glass on the unfinished body and yesterday I assembled and wired it up.

The body (and pickguard) was made by Cooterfinger, it’s one piece alder. It deserves a better paint job than the one I gave it because it’s a really nice body. I’ll do a proper finish on it one day (retirement project?). Neck is from a Pawn Shop VI that I bought from eBay. Plates were made by Stereordinary. Trem is AVRI, and the bridge is a Staytrem VI. Pickups are Fender (AVRI in the neck and middle, Classic Player Jaguar in the bridge).

I wired it up like stock, except that I initially put the strangle switch capacitor on the tone knob and vice versa (I need glasses :D ). I corrected that today and now everything is perfect. This thing is really fun to play, and sounds fantastic! I’m glad to have finally finished it!

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This project took me 12 years to finish, but it is finally done!

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Congratulations 🥳 Do you have any sound samples?
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Man that looks fantastic. Must be extra satisfying to cross it off the "to do" list after that long!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by astro » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:05 pm
Congratulations 🥳 Do you have any sound samples?
Thank you! No sound samples at the moment, I am not equipped to record anything at the moment (other than my phone, which would not do it justice)
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Man that looks fantastic. Must be extra satisfying to cross it off the "to do" list after that long!
Thanks! Yeah, I am very happy to finally get this project over with, and I’m elated to finally have a Bass VI! I will eventually do a proper finish on it one day, but that probably won’t be for another 12 years!