Something Offset This Way Comes... (finished)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Something Offset This Way Comes... (finished)

Post by Larry Mal » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

Great build! Thanks for sharing that, that's wonderful.

My favorite thing is that you got locking tuners on a slotted headstock. That makes me very happy to see!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BornToHula
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BornToHula » Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am

Wow amazing stunning work and design!!
love it. Enjoy all your post
Hope it sounds en plays lovely

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Wonderful build, I imagine the body depth gives you that full sound and the back and sides choice are great for a well defined tone.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

My favorite thing is that you got locking tuners on a slotted headstock. That makes me very happy to see!
Yeah. That whole headstock situation is great.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Fri May 15, 2020 8:03 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

Yeah. That whole headstock situation is great.
It’s my favorite aspect of the whole thing as well. Makes string changing a whole lot easier for me. I’m doing the same headstock on an electric build I’m working on. Should have pictures for y’all sometime next month.

I’ll try to get a demo up of this one by the time the other one is ready to be posted. Still working on getting the right mic setup for that. My recording skills still aren’t great, and I’d hate to not do this wonderful guitar justice.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Scout wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:22 pm
Wonderful build, I imagine the body depth gives you that full sound and the back and sides choice are great for a well defined tone.
Yes, she does sound quite full, especially for how small the body is. I’ve found that she doesn’t really get along with plectrums though. Definitely more suited to finger picking. I’m fine with that though.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am
A lefty?!?!?!? :? :? :? :?

Yeah, She is. Makes finding guitars a lot harder for sure, especially with my condition needing special features already. But on the upside I get to design some pretty kick ass guitars for myself. Not that my wallet is as thankful for that. :D
seenoevil II wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:25 am
Can we get a demo?

This is deeply impressive. I love the rosette. I wish more guitars were this creative!

Don't hate me, but does anyone else see a contemplative cyclops when they look at this?
Now that you’ve mentioned it I can’t unsee it. :freako:
I’ll try and get a demo up when I get a good enough set of microphones. I’m used to recording electrics directly into my iPad, so I don’t have a setup for acoustics just yet. We’ll get there eventually though.
Rgand wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 pm
Beautiful! Very well carried out. :?
BornToHula wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:36 am
Wow amazing stunning work and design!!
love it. Enjoy all your post
Hope it sounds en plays lovely
Thanks everyone! I’m really happy you guys like it and I was able to contribute something cool to the forum.
I hope to improve on this design in the future. The local luthier I worked with was super cool, and really willing to work with some of my weirder requests. The offset waist in particular was a pain for him, but he managed to get it done for me, and in stunning fashion.
As I may have said already, I’ll be working with the same guy again on an electric, using the same general shape and headstock concept. I’m excited about this one because I’ll be able to have a lot more input on design this time around than with the acoustic and be way less constrained by the shape needing to make a good sound. I can hopefully get a lot more creative with the shape and offset the waist a bit more.

In fact, I’ve just received the last of the parts, and will be dropping them off with the deposit tomorrow when we do wood selection. So I should have more information for you guys in short order.

Once again, thanks for your input everyone! I’m an idea guy, and I don’t always have the technical or woodworking skills or setup to pull all my ideas off. But this whole process has made me really thankful for people like my local luthier who enable me to do a lot more things I otherwise couldn’t, and also for everyone on the forum helping and offering support along the way.

I appreciate y’all :-*
~Hiller

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 pm

hillerheilman wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:25 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am
A lefty?!?!?!? :? :? :? :?

Yeah, She is. Makes finding guitars a lot harder for sure, especially with my condition needing special features already. But on the upside I get to design some pretty kick ass guitars for myself. Not that my wallet is as thankful for that. :D
Dude, I feel that. Considering the stuff I liked in high school, I'm glad I never had easy access to guitars. I much prefer the things I like now, and the fact that I didn't have to waste money on stuff that I wouldn't like now.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am

Awesome build! Always thought about an offset acoustic. I’m looking for solutions for a newly developing condition which seems very similar to yours, will have to try your tuning. Do you have any music posted online?
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 pm

invisible man wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 am
Awesome build! Always thought about an offset acoustic. I’m looking for solutions for a newly developing condition which seems very similar to yours, will have to try your tuning. Do you have any music posted online?

I do not have anything posted online, no. I’ve been playing consistently for a relatively short time, and I’m still pretty self conscious about my playing. I may try writing something to demo my new project when it gets finished though. The tuning is basically just open D tuned a whole step down and modified slightly to make it easier for me to do m7 chords.
This site was particularly helpful for me in experimenting and figuring out a tuning that works for me:
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/g ... ex_rb.html