Jagmaster build suggestions

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
criscotwister
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jagmaster build suggestions

Post by criscotwister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Hey gang!

This is my first post here. Hoping to see what you guys can throw at me. Just scored a late 90's Squier Jagmaster that in need of some TLC. I've been looking for one of these for a while and would love to do a mod build since I was able to score the guitar for $30. That price should indicate the working condition. It has an incredible feel to it but the electronics in their current state sound like a concrete saw, which if I was in a band with Steve Albini, I'd totally use. Much to my dismay, I'm not. The hardware and neck are still in great shape and I love the feel they have.

​

Most of my other guitars have been purchased for genre-specific tone and I love them for that. However, I want something in my gear rack that I can pick up when I sit down to record demos at home, can really shift around, I guess. I do a lot of post-rock/ambient shit but I'm also pretty into 80's hardcore.

​

What are your favorite electronics setups? I'm talking pups, pots, secret formulas? This is my first ever mod-build and i've been waiting my entire life for this opportunity. I want to do it right and that starts with some good and honest anecdotal research.

Thanks for taking some time to read and any insight you could share.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jagmaster build suggestions

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Open it up first and verify what you've got and see if there are any obvious problems (eg broken connections). This should be the stock wiring ... 4-wire HBs ? (only 2 wires used), 500k pots.
https://c3.zzounds.com/media/SquierJagm ... a526e5.pdf

Also, what is your budget ? And your motivation level ? .... do you just want better HBs, or do you want to solder some new switching options (eg push-pull switch on pot). Or more ...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=21187
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 am

I played in a noisy hardcore band for a while, and I found that a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge took care of most of my punk sounds, while a phat cat p90 in the neck was great for my cleaner, fuller sounds.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:09 am

threewordname wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 am
I played in a noisy hardcore band for a while, and I found that a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge took care of most of my punk sounds, while a phat cat p90 in the neck was great for my cleaner, fuller sounds.
I rock a duncan custom custom in one of mine, but I did have a JB in it and it was a beast. Can't go wrong with a JB. The neck pickup is something I always struggled with. I play with a lot of gain and fuzz, so humbuckers are almost a default setting with me.

im a big fan of lace pickups, which are in all of my fender style guitars outside of the one jagmaster. lots of versatility, especially with the dually series. a red/silver in the bridge and a blue/gold in the neck can give you so many possibilities if you are into coil tapping. best thing about lace is how quiet they are while still getting great single coil tones.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't know if you like single coils or not. I like my guitars to have a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. I tend to use my neck pickup for cleaner tones and my bridge for the heavy stuff. I find that one of my favorite combos is a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge and a Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen in the neck.

The Seymour Duncan JB also has a tendency to be well rounded but some people like them and some people hate them.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm

ok. i'm going to throw in a few ideas as someone who owns 4 jagmasters.

if you play a lot of post-rock, i actually say lipsticks. my ex bandmate had lipsticks in her jagmaster style guitar (in this picture it's when it had a filtertron clone but nowadays it has a lipstick humbucker)

my red jagmaster has a really hot single coil in the bridge and a generic humbucker in the neck (im not a leftie, my webcam potato just flips everything)

this is my silver sparkle jagmaster. filtertron clone in the neck, univox ripper style humbucker in the bridge.... about as rock and roll guitar sound as i get.

really the best thing about jagmasters is they can really be whatever you want. the best tip i can give is experimentation
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'