Interesting rocking TOM bridge...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Interesting rocking TOM bridge...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Anybody ever seen one of these before? Somebody on a "Japanese Guitars" group on Facebook posted pics & a video...

VIDEO LINK.... https://imgur.com/fV0kErF

The bridge sits on the pins, rather than the pins sitting on the bottom of the bridge posts (like a Jag/JM bridge)
Apparently, once the guy understood how to set it up, it worked perfectly with the guitar's Bigsby, everything staying in tune.

Pretty cool.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Interesting rocking TOM bridge...

Post by Danley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Even original ‘50s/‘60s Gibson guitars with Bigsbies used rocking TOMs (the thumb-adjusters were domed to allow the bridge to move.)

Not sure when people started thinking they could go without it... Elaborated somewhat here: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/show ... by-in-Tune

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

I know fuck all about TOMs, except that I hate the way they look ::)

The one I posted actually came of a (presumedly lawsuit) SG copy.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm

It’s not my favorite bridge and I don’t like how they look - or the lack of adjustability. But some variants exceed others (and other TOM variants are for sure garbage, especially when used for the incorrect application.)

The one big ‘plus’ for me with Tune-O-Matics is ergonomics, they really feel right and they keep the strings nice and elevated for easy picking. But I’d rather have a string-through/Strat hardtail or similar for all traits aside from that.

I wish the rocking variants were reproduced.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!