Building a couple of Juniors.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building a couple of Juniors.

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:43 am

Whoo a lot of replies!
I like the way you guys think. Not a lot of purists on this thread!
Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:35 am
Nice nice nice!

These any good for the machine heads? - https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-part ... rite-p2726

For what it's worth, I might go 24" on the light one, and 24.75 on the heavy. One of them feels like it might want to be in Pelham Blue....?
I knew it would be Mosrite tuners! Those'll do great! Better get in before the Brexit...

Rgand wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:48 am
Good score. I like the idea of a 24" neck on the Juniors. They'd be nicely balanced. Definitely do one in doghair. Nothing is cooler looking than mahogany with a doghair finish.

P-90's would be a good choice. I really like them. Maybe do one with premium and the other middle level pricing?
Yeah 24" isn't that far off from 24,75 so I think it'll fit in nicely!
Maybe going traditional with the other one is a smart move.. I'll think it over.
Going premium(-ish) on one and mid level on the other was something I've thought about also. Go with good parts on one and see what I can scrounge up on Aliexpress for the other.. Sounds like a plan!
Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am
Very nice!

Is that dark streak in the wood itself or just on the surface? I think it would be a cool feature, I'd probably leave at least one natural.

Dog hair finish would be cool as well! Maybe some variation, like a dark chalkboard green instead of the black / blue-grey you usually see?

I've also always wanted to see a small Maestro on a pre-SG DC Jr! I'd be tempted to do the heavier one as a 25-1/2" scale using the maple neck and have a roller bridge and Maestro, maybe pair it with a lipstick pickup in the bridge and make a jangle monster!

I just got hold of an old bandsaw and it's this cool pistachio green colour you often see on tools from that era. It got me thinking how that colour is maybe under-utilised on guitars, especially since it evokes old austere cars for me.

Maybe a scheme like this? Parchment guard on pistachio green?

All the exciting grain is just caked on old finish sadly; otherwise I'd consider a stain or something of the like. The grain is pretty plain:
Going with green in a dog hair finish would be fun too; a bit like a Silver Fox Coronet:

You've really stirred something up in this thread with that pistachio green! I don't know how I feel about it really.
It reminds me a lot of all the tools in the shed; our bandsaw, radial arm saw, drill presses and belt sander are all that same green color (different brands even!). I'm afraid it'll remind me of them too much..
I'll consider it though, maybe a bit more aged Pelham.

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm
i think you should add a jazzmaster trem.
I figured as much.. :P Sad to say I won't.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay