Good sources for JM pickguards (UK/Europe)?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
rain.parade
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Good sources for JM pickguards (UK/Europe)?

Post by rain.parade » Wed May 29, 2019 11:55 am

I'm looking for pickguard recommendations for my Jazzmaster parts build, preferably easily obtainable in the UK.

I'm 90% sure the guitar will be Lake Placid Blue, but it will definitely be amungst the blues / greens, so I'm really looking for mint green, or possibly gold aluminium if it were on the pale side like the one below, rather than the orangey one on my old JMJM. I'm not going to even utter the 't' word :whistle:

I'm happy with the colour / quality of the mint guard on my AVRI, but these seem to be pretty pricey as a replacement part, and I'd happily spend less for the same quality if that's possible. I'll be drilling the screw holes onto a new body, so the other key consideration is that it follows the standard USA pattern (I don't want to be having to drill new holes if I choose to swap the guard out in future).

There are obviously loads available on eBay, Amazon and online parts suppliers, and the prices range from about £8 to over £100, so it would be great to get some specific recommendations.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Good sources for JM pickguards (UK/Europe)?

Post by NICQ » Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 pm

I bought some guards from seller earlpilanz on ebay.co.uk that fit perfectly and had a good price - nice guy too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jazzmaster-Pic ... 2609656835

This is for the Lee Ranaldo with WRHBs - he has all kinds of custom versions for different pickup configurations.. also for Telecasters.. material is consistent and the shape/screwholes usually line up perfectly.. browse his shop for all available options (closed right now - open again tomorrow june 1st)

Another seller that I can recommend is CustomWorldGuitarParts in the Netherlands : https://www.customworldguitarparts.com/ ... +pickguard

I bought various JM Pickguards and they were good too

rain.parade
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rain.parade » Fri May 31, 2019 9:31 am

NICQ wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 pm
I bought some guards from seller earlpilanz on ebay.co.uk that fit perfectly and had a good price - nice guy too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jazzmaster-Pic ... 2609656835

This is for the Lee Ranaldo with WRHBs - he has all kinds of custom versions for different pickup configurations.. also for Telecasters.. material is consistent and the shape/screwholes usually line up perfectly.. browse his shop for all available options (closed right now - open again tomorrow june 1st)

Another seller that I can recommend is CustomWorldGuitarParts in the Netherlands : https://www.customworldguitarparts.com/ ... +pickguard

I bought various JM Pickguards and they were good too
Thank you. I think I'd come across those two through Googling, but it's really useful to hear some first-hand experience.

rain.parade
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rain.parade » Fri May 31, 2019 9:34 am

I'm increasingly drawn to the pale gold anodised guard in the picture above. Has anyone come across those? The picture is a CS, so I assume the colour is 'aged'.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Well, if you want to go with a *mint* guard - unless you've already cemented in your head the idea of the pale gold - just search ebay.co.uk for fender jazzmaster mint genuine. With 3rd party mint, there is a high likelihood of "too green" in my experience. Official Fender mint guards look great on lake placid blue.