What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
_meisterman_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:41 am

What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by _meisterman_ » Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 am

Recently decided to break the bank and got a Classic Player Jaguar special HH and it's amazing but it's missing something.
I put a super distortion in the bridge because the enforcer bridge pickup was a bit too damp and now it sounds brilliant in the bridge and middle position
But what would you do to it to make it better?

User avatar
Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by Amon 7.L » Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 am

Welcome on board and congratulation for your new axe :D

I don't know what modification would suit the word "better" by your parameters but... A good set-up is where to start if you can't define what else you need the urge to modify, right?

P.S.:
Can you post pics of yer Jag for us to get an idea on the possible improvements? :ph34r:

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by timtam » Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm

The HH has such a unique switching scheme in place of the rhythm circuit (different from every other jag), plus being HH, that it's one of those guitars that you tend to buy for those features, more so than thinking in terms of modding. It has the standard CP trem (0076232000) with lock and screw-in arm, which doesn't have a bad rep, when set up properly ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

The tunomatic-style bridge (0076230000) is an issue for some, but with Staytrem seemingly no longer offering their drop-in replacement, other options are somewhat limited ... roller bridge with compatible posts (M8, 73.3mm spacing*), vintage- or Mustang-style with drilled out posts sitting on top of the existing TOM posts.

*stock 0076230000 bridge specs ..
http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?query= ... =3839&lv=1
https://darrenriley.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0049-1.jpg
Last edited by timtam on Fri May 17, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timtam (noun): Iconic Australian multi-layered chocolate biscuit.

User avatar
_meisterman_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:41 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by _meisterman_ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:05 pm

of course! wouldn't be much of a guitar board without many guitars would it?
Image

User avatar
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by alexpigment » Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Some may find the standard Jaguar control plate to be useful/endearing/etc, but I think it's a clumsy way to quickly switch pickups on the fly. Personally, I'd look into getting one of the American Professional / Johnny Marr style Jaguar plates installed with a Telecaster selector switch:

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 091903000/

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-3-Positio ... B0002E2G2E

User avatar
_meisterman_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:41 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by _meisterman_ » Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 am

timtam wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm
The HH has such a unique switching scheme in place of the rhythm circuit (different from every other jag), plus being HH, that it's one of those guitars that you tend to buy for those features, more so than thinking in terms of modding. It has the standard CP trem (0076232000) with lock and screw-in arm, which doesn't have a bad rep, when set up properly ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

The tunomatic-style bridge (0076230000) is an issue for some, but with Staytrem seemingly no longer offering their drop-in replacement, other options are somewhat limited ... roller bridge with compatible posts (M8, 73.3mm spacing*), vintage- or Mustang-style with drilled out posts sitting on top of the existing TOM posts.

*stock 0076230000 bridge specs ..
http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?query= ... =3839&lv=1
https://darrenriley.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0049-1.jpg
So i'm guessing a bridge like this wouldn't fit then?
https://store.tonepros.com/p/tpfr-tonep ... er-saddles

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by timtam » Fri May 31, 2019 7:58 am

_meisterman_ wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 am
timtam wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm
The HH has such a unique switching scheme in place of the rhythm circuit (different from every other jag), plus being HH, that it's one of those guitars that you tend to buy for those features, more so than thinking in terms of modding. It has the standard CP trem (0076232000) with lock and screw-in arm, which doesn't have a bad rep, when set up properly ...
https://offset.guitars/the-goodies/sett ... lo-system/

The tunomatic-style bridge (0076230000) is an issue for some, but with Staytrem seemingly no longer offering their drop-in replacement, other options are somewhat limited ... roller bridge with compatible posts (M8, 73.3mm spacing*), vintage- or Mustang-style with drilled out posts sitting on top of the existing TOM posts.

*stock 0076230000 bridge specs ..
http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?query= ... =3839&lv=1
https://darrenriley.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0049-1.jpg
So i'm guessing a bridge like this wouldn't fit then?
https://store.tonepros.com/p/tpfr-tonep ... er-saddles
I'm not sure if anyone has successfully put that TonePros TOM-style roller bridge (74mm post spacing) onto the HH jag ... the post-to-post spacing specs suggest a slight mismatch (<0.5mm).

Wilkinson-style roller TOMs typically have a fraction more room to move on the posts during setup - mostly forward / back but also a little side-to-side - and the posts are then clamped with a grub screw ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Saddle- ... 2561602260
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson- ... p_866.html
Timtam (noun): Iconic Australian multi-layered chocolate biscuit.

User avatar
_meisterman_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:41 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by _meisterman_ » Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 am

really weird idea, but could I take the saddles from a staytrem bridge and whack it into a TOM bridge?

User avatar
Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:45 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri May 31, 2019 10:34 am

_meisterman_ wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:00 am
really weird idea, but could I take the saddles from a staytrem bridge and whack it into a TOM bridge?
Unless you have a lathe and enjoy the challenge of re-engineer the TOM, I don't think it would be a walk in the park. That said, who am I to stop you? Be brave, you might end up being the TOM 2.0's creator.

That was option A.
Option B:
A collaudated bridge I've put in both my Jaguar and Mustang, is the Schaller STM roller bridge. Keep in mind my guitars have the 7.25" radius whilst the bridge is the standard 12" but, frankly, I can't find a single reason to complain.
They never go out of tune, you can decide which string spacing is the best for you, I can abuse the Jaguar vibrato without worrying about any string slippage, detuning. It's a rock, it doesn't rock therefore IT ROCKS.
Plus, it looks cool. But that's just personal taste.
Image

User avatar
_meisterman_
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:41 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by _meisterman_ » Fri May 31, 2019 11:58 am

That guitar does look Mighty fine! I'll definitely take a look at the schallers, seem like my best option right now

User avatar
MC3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:30 am

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by MC3 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:34 pm

I play a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, which has the TOM bridge as well. I bought one of the roller bridges from GFS for like 20 bucks, and the trem system came alive. Super worth it and way more playable/fun for me.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bri ... p_661.html

Those HH Jags with the switching seem really cool. After I saw this video of Tim Presley (White Fence) playing one, I thought long and hard about making the jump to one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZmPc6PQKZw

User avatar
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: What mods would you do to a Jaguar HH?

Post by timtam » Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm

MC3 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:34 pm
I play a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, which has the TOM bridge as well. I bought one of the roller bridges from GFS for like 20 bucks, and the trem system came alive. Super worth it and way more playable/fun for me.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-Bri ... p_661.html
Interesting that that particular GFS (non-Wilkinson) roller TOM has a specified post spacing of 73.5mm, which is close to the 73.3mm in possibly the only published spec on the 0076230000 bridge that the HH jag uses ....
http://wscmusic.com/itemView.php?query= ... =3839&lv=1

The previously-mentioned TonePros and WIlkinson are spec-ed at 74mm.

With Fender / Squier apparently using several slightly different TOMs, the scope to swap between particular TOM models may vary .. but it's one of things we have limited good information on. eg how much difference in post spacing is 'too much'.
Timtam (noun): Iconic Australian multi-layered chocolate biscuit.

Post Reply