JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Post by prospect » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm

deleted
Last edited by prospect on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 pm

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Shame, this thread is really interesting and informative and I really would hate to see it devolve into a pissing contest...

OP, I’m super interested! Please keep us updated!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Some earlier coverage of Scott Zimmerman's posts re the Cobain guitars on Facebook group 'Japanese Fender and Squier guitars MIJ CIJ' ...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109851
https://www.facebook.com/scott.zimmerman.37
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2007000209553608
Last edited by timtam on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm

mizbiz wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm
Shame, this thread is really interesting and informative and I really would hate to see it devolve into a pissing contest...

Agreed.

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm
mizbiz wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Agreed.

+2

TinyEv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TinyEv » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 am

I'm a bit confused, are the mim KC Jaguar necks really skinny or nah? Because i remember that when i used to own a jagstang the neck was kinda beefy and i've never tried the KC Jaguar but just assumed it'd be the same. A slimmer neck profile might tempt me into getting one. It's totally possible that my jagstang neck was beefier than usual of course. Fascinating thread though, really looking forward to seeing how the build progresses! :)
Give the anarchist a cigarette

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 am

Later months of 2017:
Every respectable body needs some make-up to cover up its inner cavities... so, time to dress it with some 3 ply wbw pickguard in the old fashion way:

..Pickguard felt naked too, let's make it more serious with a coordinated white single coil and a not so coordinated DM SuperDistortion (it's what I had lying around, folks)

Now a bit of the wankery details that differenciate the production model from the prototype.. Are you guys spotting it? Are you focused? Do you know what she did? (if you spot the quote as well, you have my full respect):
Look where we're at:

Don't cheat, I know you were just thinking "alright.. it's a pickguard, whatever.. we've seen millions here, no big deal, 1 pic is enough. SHOW US SOME MORE PERKY STUFF".
Are you satisfied? I'm not. The shape is close but the last swoop where the pg meets the metal control plate should be less curvy and more of a straight-ish line. Also, gotta keep in mind that perspective can prove itself being a lovely bitch and fool perceived geometry.

What else do we need to dress the body? Mmm.. oh, yeah.. above mentioned control plate... Market discriminates left-ism.. so.. I had to get crafty and for the time been (read: forever, unless I'll manage to find some metal sheet) I'll deal with a DIY aluminium plate.

Yet another mock-up to see how things fit together:

This is it for now, folks.
Next chapter will involve a neck build. But if you're a glutton for punishment, if you're not tired of reading me and if you like when disaster happens.. well, just go ahead, click this link and see what I had to deal with:
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 9&start=15

On my usual side note: at this point I didn't yet have the the full autistic OCD mode engaged.. this craftwork is only at rev.04 stage.. shit gets mental when I'm reaching the 7th revision mark (and last night I've hit #8 :ph34r: )
Last edited by Amon 7.L on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

TinyEv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TinyEv » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 am

It looks great! The fretboard on that neck looks like the end result will have killer good looks. To be honest for a while i couldn't really see the difference between the prot vs the production, but it's true they are subtly different. But those subtle changes cannot be unseen.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 am

TinyEv wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:23 am
I'm a bit confused, are the mim KC Jaguar necks really skinny or nah? Because i remember that when i used to own a jagstang the neck was kinda beefy and i've never tried the KC Jaguar but just assumed it'd be the same. A slimmer neck profile might tempt me into getting one. It's totally possible that my jagstang neck was beefier than usual of course. Fascinating thread though, really looking forward to seeing how the build progresses! :)
I wouldnt really consider the KC Jaguar necks to be skinny, but I also don't consider them accurate either. I also don't find them beefy, but then again, I dont consider Mustangs, Jaguars and Jagstangs to be beefy.

Your Jagstang neck would have been a slightly modified Mustang neck.

TinyEv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TinyEv » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:01 am

Ah thanks AcrylicSuperman. I’ve had a 64 slab board Mustang and I currently own a MIJ 73RI Mustang and the Jagstang neck always felt more of a handful, though in fairness it’s a long time since I had it so I could just be remembering it as being more hefty than it actually was.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:06 am

I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:03 am

TinyEv wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 am
It looks great! The fretboard on that neck looks like the end result will have killer good looks. To be honest for a while i couldn't really see the difference between the prot vs the production, but it's true they are subtly different. But those subtle changes cannot be unseen.
Thanks TinyEv! The fretboard is bubinga. I didn't like at first but after shaping/sanding/lots of oil moisturing, the figuring pop'd up and grew up on me. I like it quite much now.
RE the difference between prot vs prod, it's just what has started to bug me.. once your eye catches something off, it can't be unseen. No matter what.

Now, back on the tracks.. it's neck time.
2017 is long gone and we are now in April 2018..
If you followed the link I earlier provided, you already know what has happened during the development of this neck (which is my 2nd neck as a scratch build).
In order not to flood this thread with the full steps involved in a neck construction, I'll get straight to the point.

neck BEFORE my oversanding mistake:
mock up of the full item we're dealing with:
neck AFTER makeshift rescue task:

At this point I was convinced Murphy's Law is always a threat and this neck is kinda cursed. Why? Well.. the acrylic used to seal the decal decided it wasn't keen on the different labelled acrylic I've used to finish the neck.. It bubbled up and flaked letters off.
Being this guy fed up with this further lovely mishap, he just froze his glance at the headstock with an evil grin & a crooked smile and peacefully proceeded to the polishing stage with the most passive-aggressive "fuck it" attitude you can buy/steal/pretend.
in his full uncanny sinister glory

Yes, it's a bound neck now.
Yes, it's cursed and there's an explanation too. The numbers "13 7" in the headstock's decal are not a call for a hex, it's actually my birth date, which happend to be in July.. on a Friday 13th. And my star sign is Cancer.
Nope, I'm not superstitious.. but reality doesn't care of my belief.

Neck pocket measurements for us geeks:
Mr. soldering iron for people who want things to be electric:

Guitar as a whole item:

My mandatory P.S.:
Yes. when I was so diligently compiling this update, I managed to open Postimage.org to upload/ copy & paste things in the same tab, so.. as soon as I facepalmed myself.. well.. yup. All of my work expired and the log-in credentials were required and.. crap.. I had to start over.
Last edited by Amon 7.L on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

FenderBob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FenderBob » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 am

Really nice work you did. Fascinating Build! :)

Did you ever consider doing the body contours? arm / belly....like the warmoth jagstang bodies.

My have missed it, what color you going for?

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 am

I came across this in my notes last night. :)