ThePearDream's Project Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ThePearDream's Project Thread

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:40 am

Well, I have a project 78 Mustang, incoming from Reverb. I put in a fair offer and it was accepted. Original neck and body pair, with matching serial numbers. But the neck plate is from 66, which is weird. The body has a very poor refinish currently. The original finish appears to have been black, based on the neck pocket. Original bridge and vibrato (minus the arm). The pickguard and electronics are new. I will be sending the body off to copaceticcustoms for a non-vintage accurate, OTM-ish finish, possibly with competition stripes. This will be my first US Fender, and actually, my only Fender, as I sold my MIM Player Strat and my MIJ/MIM partscaster Strat last year.

Should look a lot like this MIJ OTM Stang:

I'll probably move the Kiyst pickups (anybody ever use these?) into the orange Squier Stang, and sell that. I just can't get down with a body that doesn't have contours on the back.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:48 am

The Mustang has arrived. Initially I had thought it started out black, but realizing that it is an Ash body, it's more likely that it was sunburst. So someone stripped the factory burst finish, to apply a far worse looking, hand applied cherry sunburst finish. Being Ash from the late 70s, I was concerned about weight, but it weighed out at 7.25lbs, which is a nice surprise.

The neck pocket is reasonably tight for its era. The cigar tube is backwards, so I'll need to take apart the vibrato and put things back in order. There is also some gunk completely filling up the cigar adjustment holes. The pickguard is an aftermarket, and I think I can find one that fits the body better.

Pretty nice grain. And that 66 neck plate, which I'll be selling, to pay for new pickups and a late 70s neck plate.

Plenty of dings on the headstock.

Play wear on the neck, which is on the chonkier side, as is my preference.

Plenty of fret life left, though they need a good leveling, as there are indentations in the cowboy chord area. Cavernous nut slots too.

and an absolutely terrible attempt at stringing a guitar.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 am

Teardown time.

Neck plate with two kinds of screws.

The smallest strap buttons I've ever seen. I'm no vintage expert, but I don't think these are Fender.

Pickguard screws, four kinds (at least). Straight into the trash with the lot.

Ground wire not connected to circuit.

Pickup height set with tape. At least they used electrical tape, that should count for something.

Connection to the volume pot was down to two strands of wire. I guess they ran out of electrical tape, because the connection was exposed. But since the cavity wasn't grounded it didn't matter.

An overpriced cap and crimp connectors.

Vibrato has been locked down. I'll probably clean it up to try and sell, and buy a replacement vintage unit. Vibrato was mounted with pickguard screws.

Another unused ground connection.

Control plate is covered in tiny swirls, like they tried to polish it with a Dremel grinding wheel. Also, two colors of knob.

I don't think I'll be reusing this tone pot.

Lots of grime on the fretboard.

I just need to remove the bridge thimbles and wash my hands for a few hours, then it will be ready to send off. I might break out my trim router and clean up the cavities a bit to remove the thick sludgy junk in them. Just take a little off the bottom and clean up the sides.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:50 pm

I cleaned up the vibrato plate and cigar and did a quick search for some replacement parts. The springs are easy to come by, but the posts, not so much. Then I remembered that I have a few spare import Mustang vibratos around. I grabbed one, thinking that I would also have to use the import cigar, because they were probably metric threads. But apparently, they aren't, cause the import posts threaded right into my vintage cigar. The most critical part of this vibrato is the bridge plate, for the knife edge that the posts pivot on - and mine are in great shape. I guess I'll just use it with the import posts and springs, until that doesn't work. Just needs an arm. Speaking of which, the cigar still has the arm adjustment screw somehow.

Doug
@dpcannafax

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:01 pm

I know you have a plan, but ... black guard on natural would look KILLER and very 70s.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:04 am

MattK wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:01 pm
I know you have a plan, but ... black guard on natural would look KILLER and very 70s.
I can't say that I disagree. It would look awesome in a natural finish.

On the other hand, this is a color reference photo from copaceticcustoms for the Atlantis Aqua color he'd use.

I slept on it, and still want the OTM-ish paint. I am on the fence about the competition stripes though, and starting to lean toward no stripes.

My JM & Jag for color reference again.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:08 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:52 am
Control plate is covered in tiny swirls, like they tried to polish it with a Dremel grinding wheel. Also, two colors of knob.
If you need a new plate I've got... I think 15... of the properly shaped ones. LOL

And if you want a vintage white knob properly shaped, I've got those, too. I don't have any WHITE white ones at the moment. They're the same ones I have on my LPB JM.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:31 am

I may get a newer control plate, since mine is pretty rough looking. I'll be using traditional black Mustang knobs though.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:37 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:31 am
I may get a newer control plate, since mine is pretty rough looking. I'll be using traditional black Mustang knobs though.
Lemme know! I've gotta throw 'em up on the ol' 'Verb anyway, so I'll try to take pics this weekend.

BTW... Since I know you enjoy my psychotic tendencies and I'm on the hunt for a new car (since my car is officially totalled). You already know I have three orange guitars (my old super Strat, the Mustang, and The Orange Dreamsicle). This is one of the cars on my watch list.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:25 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:37 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:31 am
Lemme know! I've gotta throw 'em up on the ol' 'Verb anyway, so I'll try to take pics this weekend.

BTW... Since I know you enjoy my psychotic tendencies and I'm on the hunt for a new car (since my car is officially totalled). You already know I have three orange guitars (my old super Strat, the Mustang, and The Orange Dreamsicle). This is one of the cars on my watch list.

Yeah, I'd usually assume anybody with a brightly colored car like that, had some issues to work on :D .

For reference, my car, which I picked, because I can fit in it.

Anyway, I cleaned up the cavities. It took me longer to find my router and setup a temporary work table outside, than to do the routing. I just shaved off a few mm, so I would have a smoother surface for to applying shielding tape to later.

Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:03 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:25 am
Yeah, I'd usually assume anybody with a brightly colored car like that, had some issues to work on :D .
Well, my wife and I agree that I don't have "issues". I have "subscriptions". LOL
ThePearDream wrote:
For reference, my car, which I picked, because I can fit in it.
Hey, if it does what you want it to do then it's perfect! The wife's got the Ford Edge. I need something quick with grumble and I'm alone in the car 99% of the time.
ThePearDream wrote:
Anyway, I cleaned up the cavities. It took me longer to find my router and setup a temporary work table outside, than to do the routing. I just shaved off a few mm, so I would have a smoother surface for to applying shielding tape to later.

Nice! I wonder, sometimes, when I see guitars that are just filled with... Something... How? Where does it come from? Is it really beer, sweat, and cigarette smoke? :derp:

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:21 pm

Come on, that grain is screaming for a natural finish. Don't cover it up!

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:25 pm

I always think an offset of any kind should have a bold solid colour. Grain be damned – it's not a fucking sideboard. OTM or that Atlantis Aqua would be great.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:31 pm

I prefer my guitar room to look like a candy store. Others want it to look like a cigar store. Both are totally valid. Just be sure to brush your teeth, either way.
Doug
@dpcannafax

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 pm

all this back and forth about solid vs natural finish made me think of a natural finish with comp stripes lol.