New Neck for a ´77 Fender Mustang

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Neck for a ´77 Fender Mustang

Post by ivo popovich » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi,
I finally decided to tackle fixing the neck on my 1977 Mustang, which I bought some 15 years ago on ebay. Shortly after I got it I noticed some small crack along the back side of the neck directly over the truss rod, which turned out to get bigger and bigger so I gave it to a friend who happened to be going to a guitar luthier school here in Austria at that time. She fixed it by removing some of the wood around that crackle and prepared some new piece of hard wood to glue it in. So the neck was stable again but it still was kind of bent and you couldn´t get rid of the thump.
Anyway, I don´t want to mess around with that neck anymore and instead want to find some proper replacement. Searching around the net I found 2 options so far, which I will describe now, I hope somebody can give me some advice on any of those or even come up with other options.
1. Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Neck - this one has a 9.5 radius, the guitar is 7.25 however but I could fix it by shimming the bridge saddles. the bigger problem seems to be availability here in Europe, no one sells them for a reasonable price while there are plenty being offered in the US for some 100$ - 150$
2. Fender 60s Lacquer Jaguar Neck - this one has the 7.25 radius and I can get it shipped to me for 250€ (which is more than I planned to spend but hey its an original Mexican Fender at least). I assume this is a direct replacement for my ´77 Mustang.

What do you think, would option 2 work for me, does anybody play any of the mentioned necks and can give me some impressions?
Thanks for reading!

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Neck for a ´77 Fender Mustang

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:39 pm

I have a better suggestion.
Pm'd you with an idea..

Of the two options you came up with, though, the jag neck is the way to go. Really nice profile, big headstock.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:30 am

I really like my 60's lacquer Jaguar. It's a great neck.
A '77 Mustang deserves a '77 neck though... But if it's not in your budget a 60's classic neck is great.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ivo popovich » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 am

Yeah that´s the thing, they are so rare and expensive and I have little to no chance of ever seeing it before I pay it + possibly shipping from overseas and customs etc, never saw anything suitable under 500 really - that´s approximately what I paid for the Mustang.
Thanks for your comment on the Jag neck, Im pretty sure I will go for it!