ClassicPlayerJM Overhaul

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

ClassicPlayerJM Overhaul

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 pm

It’s been two years that I have been complaining about the build quality and performance issues of my CP/JM.
First it was the electronics(entire loaded pickguard replaced by Fender first week of ownership). Then I go to lower the action and find the guitar was shipped with the bridge screwed down tight against the body with zero adjustment available and have to shim the neck so I can raise the bridge to be able to adjusting the action. Then it was the dead strings alternating between the B,G and D strings(nut and saddles reshaped). Then the truss rod freezes and has to be loaded with washers so the tech can take out the massive relief just to get the neck level so he can get the action playable. Then the electrics start fizzing again. Oh geez not again.
And here we are, two years to the day that I received this little bitch. It’s in the shop having all the electrics gone thru and a new set of Lindy Fralin noiseless JM pickups installed. The fret ends are being dressed again (because of a very dry rosewood fretboard they tell me)and a full set up will be performed upon completion.
I know what you are saying. Why didn’t I cut my losses and get rid of this little POS? Honestly, the guitar weighs in at 7lbs6oz . The three color sunburst is absolutely flawless. The tint on the frozen truss rod neck is just so, so perfect. And it is one of the very last rosewood fretboard Classic Players made. It’s all of those stupid ridiculous reasons I can’t let this guitar go. God help me. It’s like a beautiful woman who is poisoning you a little each day. Bahahaha :-X

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ClassicPlayerJM Overhaul

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm

HELP HAS ARRIVED!

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Jeez...I can appreciate that effort.

Im guilty of being a guitar flipper. I'm convinced that I'm going to stick it out with my current two for the long haul. There are quirks that agervate me about each, but this time ...I want to figure out how to bring the best out of them as a musician

ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:13 pm

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm
HELP HAS ARRIVED!

“THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!!!!” from the original EXORCIST movie
Let’s see if they got all the demons out this time. Just got a text, I can pick up that little snot tomorrow. :k

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm

I regard every guitar I buy as a fun project. During which I will learn new skills. A guitar is never just for playing. I wouldn't know what to do with a guitar that worked perfectly out of the box. I'd probably have to sell it ASAP. ;)

But the more I pay, the less I expect to be wrong with it. Otherwise I feel ripped off. It has to be a bargain for the money, even if it has heaps of (fixable) things wrong with it. But if you're having to pay someone else to fix those things I can see that would be very frustrating.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 pm

timtam wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:14 pm
I regard every guitar I buy as a fun project. During which I will learn new skills. A guitar is never just for playing. I wouldn't know what to do with a guitar that worked perfectly out of the box. I'd probably have to sell it ASAP. ;)
So true! The only guitar that was perfect for me out of the box was a MIM Strat, which later got sold. All my other guitars I have messed with & learned lots of skills. To me guitars are like a bicycle, or even a car. Parts can be adjusted, modded, or swapped out to improve the overall performance & feel, leaving you with a very capable tool. The more you use the tool the more you know what you want from it.

ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 pm
[quote=timtam post_id=<a href="tel:1552787">1552787</a> time=<a href="tel:1552958058">1552958058</a> user_id=23948]
I am learning this to be true.

But the more I pay, the less I expect to be wrong with it. Otherwise I feel ripped off. It has to be a bargain for the money, even if it has heaps of (fixable) things wrong with it. But if you're having to pay someone else to fix those things I can see that would be very frustrating.
[/quote]

This is hitting too close to home.

So, I picked up the evil stepchild today and got to play about forty-five minutes uninterrupted. The neck/fret ends/string height all feel wonderful. Silk, fast and easy playing with all that relief dialed out. Really special I must say. Or do I feel this way because the guitar has never been right from the start? Be that as it may, the noiseless Lindy Fralin pick ups transform this CP/JM into a real, honest to goodness players guitar. The high output p/u’s that came with this axe didn’t do the Jazzmaster moniker justice. The Fralin’s are super quiet with no 60 cycle hum and sound good in each setting. I am not disappointed.

ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm

ImageIMG_0104.HEIC

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am

ConeyIslandFrank wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 pm
The three color sunburst is absolutely flawless.
I think this is a strong point in the CP series... the sunburst finish on them is just beautiful.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:22 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:24 am
ConeyIslandFrank wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 pm
The three color sunburst is absolutely flawless.
I think this is a strong point in the CP series... the sunburst finish on them is just beautiful.
I haven't put this guitar down since I've gotten it back from the shop. The last thing just done was a TonePro? bridge and thimbles the shop put in, just for the cost of the bridge, to get that rattling POS off the guitar and to go along with the nice BuzzStop they put on for me. The Lindy Fralin noiseless pickups are a dream come true for this CP/JM. The last go round will be a Switchcraft three way switch and 1/4" input jack and this rig is done!
And I will say it again LEOKULA, considering this is a non USA model, the sunburst finish is stunning! Way above it's price point. There was just too much to like about this JM not to invest the time and money to dial it in. It is now worthy, as is any really good playing guitar, to be passed down to my children and grandchildren. What a great legacy to leave behind.
Thank you all for letting me rant and whine about this guitar for the last two years...the story has come to it's end.
frankie