Best Vintage Mustang Vibrato?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Best Vintage Mustang Vibrato?

Post by scottydanger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:24 am

So I need to replace the trem unit on my MIJ Mustang, one of the min adjustment screws stripped and the thing never returned to pitch properly in the first place. I'm told the best trem for a Mustang is a vintage one, but I'm not sure if there's a difference between pre- and post-CBS. What do I want to aim for to get the absolute best unit that will work perfectly?

Bonus question: is it easy to replace a missing vintage set screw for the arm? Many on eBay are missing the screw and I'm willing to pay a premium for a complete one if it's a pain to replace that thing.

Thanks in advance!

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best Vintage Mustang Vibrato?

Post by Debaser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I’ve been down this rabbit hole. I have a ‘66 Mustang unit and it’s not any better—still gives me issues, poor tuning stability. The plate fulcrum point seems to be better than the generic Squier version. I’m holding out for a Performer series vibrato unit...and a customized string bar I’d like to have machined someday.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

The arm set screw in my vintage tremolo fit my Japanese one oddly enough. They might be the same size screw.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm

I struggled with my Squier VM plate until I realized it was a hopeless cause. The Mustang vibrato is just a stupid design. The two cigar posts tend to chew up the holes in the plate that they rely upon as fulcrums and when that happens, it's all over.

If you're feeling industrious, do this:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... d&start=15

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm

I’d have to disagree here. I had a 66 mustang with the most perfect vibrato unit I’ve encountered, regardless of guitar. I had SF guitarworks in San Francisco set it up and it held tune perfectly ALWAYS.

scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottydanger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am

RIORIO wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm
I’d have to disagree here. I had a 66 mustang with the most perfect vibrato unit I’ve encountered, regardless of guitar. I had SF guitarworks in San Francisco set it up and it held tune perfectly ALWAYS.
That's a relief! Glad to hear there's at least one person who had good luck with a vintage post-cbs unit.
Debaser wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm
I’ve been down this rabbit hole. I have a ‘66 Mustang unit and it’s not any better—still gives me issues, poor tuning stability. The plate fulcrum point seems to be better than the generic Squier version. I’m holding out for a Performer series vibrato unit...and a customized string bar I’d like to have machined someday.
So you put the 66 unit on a Squier? Did you also upgrade the bridge or nut or anything else? I'll be using a Staytrem bridge so that should give me a leg up in this process, hopefully.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

I have no name ones and Fender Japanese ones and US Fender ones and they all held their tuning just fine. I just did the same sort of setup I do with all tremolo guitars. Tune it, intonate it, then abuse the trem and retune it, abuse, retune... once it holds its tuning after abuse then I know the strings are all set for normal use. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm
I struggled with my Squier VM plate until I realized it was a hopeless cause. The Mustang vibrato is just a stupid design. The two cigar posts tend to chew up the holes in the plate that they rely upon as fulcrums and when that happens, it's all over.

If you're feeling industrious, do this:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... d&start=15
The vibrato plate on original US mustangs is much harder, it doesnt get chewed up and you get a proper knife edge pivot.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 am

scottydanger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am
RIORIO wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm
That's a relief! Glad to hear there's at least one person who had good luck with a vintage post-cbs unit.
Debaser wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm
So you put the 66 unit on a Squier? Did you also upgrade the bridge or nut or anything else? I'll be using a Staytrem bridge so that should give me a leg up in this process, hopefully.
Yes, I took a VM and made it into a ‘64 tribute of sorts. It has a ‘66 tort on it as well, with Buddha repro Mustang pickups. I still haven’t installed a better nut. I have no problems with all kinds of Bigsby types and JM/Jags, as long as the nut is dressed it’s usually fine. I’m using a Staytrem on my Mustang at the moment.

I did sort out the tuning issues with the stock vibrato early on. Lubed every single contact point with tri-lube, dressed the nut slots, etc. I worked great for a couple of months. After a string brand change it was acting up so lubed it again. After 6 months of various playing, I realized it was bad as when I first got it. I coudn’t rely on it anymore to get me back in tune. I bought a MIJ plate and that wasn’t any better, then found a good condition ‘66 unit. My idea then was the Squier fulcrum point was wearing out. The fulcrum point on the vintage model is better hardened is my guess. I still had some frustrations so I pulled the bar. I don’t use the vibrato at all anymore, but I can still grab the ‘hot dog’ for subtle vibrato if I wanted to.

50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottydanger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:10 am

Debaser wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 am
scottydanger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 am
Yes, I took a VM and made it into a ‘64 tribute of sorts. It has a ‘66 tort on it as well, with Buddha repro Mustang pickups. I still haven’t installed a better nut. I have no problems with all kinds of Bigsby types and JM/Jags, as long as the nut is dressed it’s usually fine. I’m using a Staytrem on my Mustang at the moment.

I did sort out the tuning issues with the stock vibrato early on. Lubed every single contact point with tri-lube, dressed the nut slots, etc. I worked great for a couple of months. After a string brand change it was acting up so lubed it again. After 6 months of various playing, I realized it was bad as when I first got it. I coudn’t rely on it anymore to get me back in tune. I bought a MIJ plate and that wasn’t any better, then found a good condition ‘66 unit. My idea then was the Squier fulcrum point was wearing out. The fulcrum point on the vintage model is better hardened is my guess. I still had some frustrations so I pulled the bar. I don’t use the vibrato at all anymore, but I can still grab the ‘hot dog’ for subtle vibrato if I wanted to.
Nice! That looks a lot like the '65 I owned for a while, great work!

Fingers crossed that I can solve this issue, it seems really inconsistent from unit to unit. Thanks for your input!

scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottydanger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks for all of your help, everybody! I found this beauty at a price I couldn't say no to. Can't wait to get it installed!

https://reverb.com/item/18555334-vintag ... -1964-1966

scottydanger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottydanger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:59 am

Final update: this thing is amazing! Ultra smooth and returns perfectly to pitch. Also looks nearly brand new! Very happy with my upgrade!