Who has had a refinish on their Johnny Marr Jaguar?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Peter V.
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Who has had a refinish on their Johnny Marr Jaguar?

Post by Peter V. » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am

I'm not too keen on the olympic white finish on my Johnny Marr Jaguar, though it's a great guitar. Have been thinking about getting her a Spitfire tortoise guard to change the looks, but for $ 250 I might also buy her a refinish.

What do you think? Has anybody else had a refinish on their Johnny Marr Jaguar?

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who has had a refinish on their Johnny Marr Jaguar?

Post by cmatthes » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am

Still haven't put it together, but this is my Marr...

Deep Green Pearl finish from GuitarPaintGuys. It looks like it's about 3' deep in person!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 am

cmatthes wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am

Still haven't put it together, but this is my Marr...

Deep Green Pearl finish from GuitarPaintGuys. It looks like it's about 3' deep in person!
I like it! :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 am

Man, that's a fantastic shade of green.

I believe OSGer Surfysonic posted his Marrguarr in a professional fiesta red nitro refinish around a year ago.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JONFROMJERSEY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JONFROMJERSEY » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 am

I refinished mine from OW to stark white. It was starting to look beige after only like two years.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:19 am

Wow, that is nice! :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maxadur
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Maxadur » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm

I'd like to see someone try a Silver Sparkle re-fin.......I love my Olympic White, but the Silver with the parchment pickguard speaks to me, loud and clear!

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Maxadur wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm
I'd like to see someone try a Silver Sparkle re-fin.......I love my Olympic White, but the Silver with the parchment pickguard speaks to me, loud and clear!
Not a refin, but I've got something in the works...I showed it to Johnny last fall (pre-finish), and he really dug it! We talked about it for a full 4-5 minutes.

Maxadur
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Maxadur » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Show it off when you can, my friend............captive audience right here!

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Will do as soon as I can. It's a hollowbody Jag with 2 TVJones Powertrons...and maybe very sparkly...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:06 am

Sorry, I missed this thread and mbene085's mention of my JM Jag. Here's my Johnny Marr Jag refin'd in Fiesta Red (with Spitfire Tort!):

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:16 pm

That's HOT!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :? :? :? :? :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:46 pm

When a 2018 Marr jag eventually becomes a 'vintage' instrument, will an old refin be judged as having been a bad idea, decreasing its value substantially ? ;)

A friend bought a red L-series 60's jag with matching headstock in 1980 for $300. It was in pretty good nick except the body was a little road worn. AFAIK the finish was original. He immediately had a shop do a very nice, slightly metallic shiny CAR refin (which soon acquired a few minor dings). It never crossed anyone's mind then that the refin would decrease its future value. In fact we thought it would increase it. Had he sold it then, it would have. But not now.

Or will current generation, premium, signature guitars like the Marr never acquire the same vintage cachet that makes an original finish much more valuable ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by postchrist » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 pm

timtam wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:46 pm
When a 2018 Marr jag eventually becomes a 'vintage' instrument, will an old refin be judged as having been a bad idea, decreasing its value substantially ? ;)

A friend bought a red L-series 60's jag with matching headstock in 1980 for $300. It was in pretty good nick except the body was a little road worn. AFAIK the finish was original. He immediately had a shop do a very nice, slightly metallic shiny CAR refin (which soon acquired a few minor dings). It never crossed anyone's mind then that the refin would decrease its future value. In fact we thought it would increase it. Had he sold it then, it would have. But not now.

Or will current generation, premium, signature guitars like the Marr never acquire the same vintage cachet that makes an original finish much more valuable ?
imo... likely a bit of both. refinishes never really increase the monetary value of a guitar, but if you like it, do it... i think looking at any instrument as a price tag, past, current, or future, tends to be a bit misled... but then that’s just my take. to add, fender releases so many guitars every year that the coming market is even more unpredictable than it has been... the “holy grails” in future may well depend on who popularizes which odd model and which ones sold so little that they become rarities. the only sure thing is that many of us will be kicking ourselves for selling/refinishing/modding etc, thirty years down the road, as we all already do.

also, the fiesta is gorgeous!! what a piece.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks, guys! My guitar tech does outstanding refin work - Keirn Hilleary at Lucky Pick Guitars - https://www.luckypickguitars.com/ here in Maryland. He recently relocated his shop so he's still building a new spray booth. I hope he'll have it ready by next spring.

I doubt I'll ever sell my JM Jag unless absolutely forced to. However, I think a decent refin job on a modern guitar like this can improve its value when, at the time of this refin, the color options for the JM Jag was fairly limited.

Now, I love the newer Lake Placid Blue JM Jag and I'd more than likely pull the trigger if they ever put out another run of the Sherwood Green. If they did that, I'd leave the guitar completely stock. I put in Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jaguar Pickups because they provide me more punch for surf tunes. I like the Bare Knuckle stock pickups for other styles, so I'll hang on to them for a future project.

I thank goodness for vintage refin'd gear - I was able to afford my holy grail vintage guitars - a '63 Jag and '63 JM, both professionally refin'd. If I ever have to sell them down the road, I don't doubt I'll still do alright in the end. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...