Wires wires jaguar wires

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Wires wires jaguar wires

Post by jazzmag » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:51 am

Got me a Japanese hh jaguar and bought better pups. Then I got to thinking of all those lovely switches and what they can be made to do.

Took it to my local luthier with instruction to install to pups (which he can do easily) no top of that I asked for some wiring done specifically the widely used 'parallel mod' when both switches are down on the lead circuit.

I also asked him to replace the rhythm circuit's tone pot with one that had a centre detent wired so that the bridge humbucker (seymour duncan 59/custom hybrid) could be blended between coils. (I saw the mexican jag's with the hum to single blend and thought it'd be a good addition. Now he has informed me that the two wiring options are mutually exclusive and only one of the two can be used.

Can anyone think of a way to have both mods?

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Wires wires jaguar wires

Post by jazzmag » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:33 am

Anyone?

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm

Too rich for my blood; you should ask here.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm
Too rich for my blood; you should ask here.

I'm actually stumped on this one as well. Basically you want a blend pot for the humbucker coils, i.e., one direction of the pot is one coil on its own, the other direction is the other single coil on its own, and in the center is full humbucker?

I'm also not sure which parallel mod you're talking about. Jaguars (as well as most electric guitars) are wired in parallel with 2 or more pickups, unless a series option is put in.
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 pm

If you mean series mod as in these:

then I don't think they are mutually exclusive with a blend pot on just the humbucker. A blend pot (from single coil to single coil with both in series in the middle) for the bridge would surely just be the outer wires connected one to each outer terminal, and the 2 inner wires connected to the inner terminal. It has no effect on the rest of the circuit. Yea or nay?

Unless the "parallel mod" is connecting the 2 coils of a humbucker in parallel with each other, because you can't have the coils in parallel if the inner wires are tied together, which they would be on the blend pot. But you expressly said "when both switches are down" so I don't think it's this one.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:45 am

Futuron wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 pm
If you mean series mod as in these:

then I don't think they are mutually exclusive with a blend pot on just the humbucker. A blend pot (from single coil to single coil with both in series in the middle) for the bridge would surely just be the outer wires connected one to each outer terminal, and the 2 inner wires connected to the inner terminal. It has no effect on the rest of the circuit. Yea or nay?

Unless the "parallel mod" is connecting the 2 coils of a humbucker in parallel with each other, because you can't have the coils in parallel if the inner wires are tied together, which they would be on the blend pot. But you expressly said "when both switches are down" so I don't think it's this one.
Giving it a second thought this should work,
Humbucker goes to the blend pot; hot wire from the blend pot goes to the switch and you wire up the switches as described in the series mod.
Only question now is: What to do with the rythm circuit volume pot and switch?
You can omit those, then it's easy wiring. Otherwise things get more difficult..
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay