Modification to my Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Bystander
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Modification to my Jazzmaster

Post by Bystander » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am

Hi Folks,
I just bought the Fender MIJ Traditional '60s Jazzmaster Left Handed, 3-Tone Sunburst that came out recently and i was looking for some advice and opinions on the modifications i am thinking of doing to it.

First of the bridge is already falling apart so going to go for a StayTrem Jazzmaster bridge.

Then i'm thinking of either putting the V Mod Jazzmaster Pickups or the Vintage 65 Pick ups. Would they be an improvement on the ones already on the guitar?

I am also wondering if i should get the inner wiring upgraded? Is so where could i get this?

I also want to get a white pick guard. Does anyone know a good place to get a left hand white pick guard?

I also want to respray the body black. Does anyone know how much that would cost to do?

Any help would be very much apprecited

here is a link to the guitar incase you would like to have a look at specs etc

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... nAQAvD_BwE

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modification to my Jazzmaster

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:03 pm

A lot of people like the av65 pickups, vmods are considered very strat like which is probably not the biggest upgrade.

Wiring is pretty easy to do yourself.

Getting the body professionally repainted will probably cost more than just buying a new body from somewhere like warmoth.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modification to my Jazzmaster

Post by jvin248 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Notes on repainting ...

-A new paint job cuts the value of a guitar in half. Some are ok with that. Some have done it to real 1960s Fenders when they were teenagers and are dismayed to find out their favorite guitar is not worth what it would have been had they kept the paint off it.

-Scuff-sand the body with 320 grit and rattle-can spray it on yourself, if it wears off in spots over time the contrast will look cool. There are threads on painting. Don't try to strip it off as it's a PITA and unless you believe in magic, that won't change your guitar's tone (spend time swapping pots instead, they have a 20% factory tolerance range). If you really have the need to strip it off, then use a heat gun and round-corner putty knife then sand smooth -- plan for a weekend outside in the yard. That paint gums up belt sander belts pretty fast to the point those are useless.

-If you pay a place to paint it, it will look more showroom quality, but you'll be more ahead buying a new painted body in the color you want.