My first build - ”Jazzcaster Deluxe”

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
stafflod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

My first build - ”Jazzcaster Deluxe”

Post by stafflod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 am

Built this from scratch. Found this guy close to Stockholm offering space, tools and guidance once a week. I still made a lot of rookie mistakes and errors. But I learnt a lot!

Specs:

Alder body.
Maple neck + Rosewood slab board.
Medium jumbo frets.
‘50’s wiring’
Jess Loureiro WRHB.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My first build - ”Jazzcaster Deluxe”

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 am

I must confess - when I read the capture I instantly clicked at it expecting it to have a big fat black JM x TCD Pickguard on it - as I was damn curious how you'd have solved it - as all of my photoshop overlay-attempts looked a bit weird... and man, was I disappointed when I did not see one!
...And then I looked at it again only to find the amount of screws used a bit suspicious... :fp:
that guard is almost invisible on that photograph :ph34r: - did you use a 1 ply? Maybe a 3ply would offer a bit more contrast.
All in all a great looking guitar, Stafflod! Great choice on the knobs too! A good alternative to the classic black witchhats. Congrats on your build!
How do you like the WRHBs?

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 am
I must confess - when I read the capture I instantly clicked at it expecting it to have a big fat black JM x TCD Pickguard on it - as I was damn curious how you'd have solved it - as all of my photoshop overlay-attempts looked a bit weird... and man, was I disappointed when I did not see one!
...And then I looked at it again only to find the amount of screws used a bit suspicious... :fp:
that guard is almost invisible on that photograph :ph34r: - did you use a 1 ply? Maybe a 3ply would offer a bit more contrast.
All in all a great looking guitar, Stafflod! Great choice on the knobs too! A good alternative to the classic black witchhats. Congrats on your build!
I thought they were ornamental screws until you pointed it out

stafflod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stafflod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 am
that guard is almkost invisible on that photograph :ph34r: - did you use a 1 ply? Maybe a 3ply would offer a bit more contrast.
Yes, one ply. I guess I went against my own taste a bit with this one. I sort of wanted the simple tele design combined with the jazzmaster body. I think I’m going to make another PG as the PU’s are a bit offset with this one. Maybe I go for a 3 ply then... I didn’t make a template and made it by gut feeling so that may have factored in a bit.

stafflod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stafflod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:52 am

I think I like the WRHB’s. I haven’t had the chance to fully test them out. I’ve used Jess’s pickups in partscasters I’ve put together and I think they’re good bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am

Nice job. I'd like to see a photo that shows that pickguard. The screws show it should look good. If you make a new PG with 3-ply material, that will be killer.

stafflod
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stafflod » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:29 am

Rgand wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:23 am
Nice job. I'd like to see a photo that shows that pickguard. The screws show it should look good. If you make a new PG with 3-ply material, that will be killer.
Sorry for the inactivity, I’m on paternal leave so I’m just playing with the kids all day (and all of the night)...

Here’s the pickguard on the body:

And the pickguard:

I decided not to do a new pickguard at the moment. I widened the northern side by the neck to move the neck pup a few mm south. I might paint the edge with some silver nail polish or something to accentuate the edge a bit.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am

i'd rock that.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Totally.
$$$WOULD ROCK$$$