Squier Jazzmaster VM Refinish

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jhanH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier Jazzmaster VM Refinish

Post by jhanH » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:20 am

First post here! I came here looking for inspiration on refinishing my VM Jazzmaster. After some thinking I decided on fiesta red with amber clear.. And some light relicing. Here are some before shots!
Pickups and electronics have already been updated to Fender Pure Vintage Pickups, CTS pots and staytrem bridge. I also have some gotoh light relic hardware in exchange for the standard squier stuff. I hope to get some cracking going when the nitro has cured!

Getting rid of the old poly..

First coat of fiesta!

Fiesta with the amber coats. The lighting where I do the spraying does not do the colour justice.. It looks great in person!

First "mockup" of the guitar.. The neck has also been refinished.

Right now I am at the hardest stage, waiting for the lacquer to cure.. I'll probably wait for 4 weeks, if I can!
Last edited by jhanH on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhanH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Jazzmaster VM Refinish

Post by jhanH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 am

Wiring and Coffee done!

Got my aged klusons the other day, they look really good.. :)

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 am

That Decal đź‘Ž

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 am

the project is looking good but please dont use a fender decal on a squier.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

jhanH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jhanH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:34 am

Its ontop of the lacquer and removeable if i would ever want to sell the guitar. Im on the fence about removing it, but I havent found a squier jazzmaster decal I could apply instead :)

Edit: I'll remove it from any posts I make and also the guitar. Bad judgement!

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm

User HNB does custom decals and I know lots of users here liked them a lot. Maybe ask him?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Zork wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm
User HNB does custom decals and I know lots of users here liked them a lot. Maybe ask him?
he's done a few for me
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't think you need to hide the photos or feel shame for what you did. Lots of people get into philosophical arguments like "even if he never sells it, what if one day someone inherits it and sells it as a Fender and someone gets ripped off."

How about this: just don't sell it as a Fender. It doesn't sound like you intend to. It sounds like you're enjoying your refinished guitar. You can put a Hello Kitty logo on it, a Pepsi logo, a Gibson logo or anything else you want if it makes you happy, it's your guitar.

Having said that, I stopped caring what logo is on the headstock a long time ago. I picked up a guitar from HNB with one of his funky logos based on an anime I have never watched and will never watch, and ironically it is an actual Fender neck, but I could never be bothered to refinish it just to stick a Fender logo back on there.

TLDR: Do what you want with your guitar, and nice job on the fiesta red refinish.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am

Zork wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm
We have a resident Squier headstock upgrader, someone who has probably painted a hundred or more VM headstocks for people and it’s not usually that big a deal. It’s fine, really. I mean I do wish I’d somehow specified a Squier logo or maybe like JAZZMASTER with no brand, or maybe my last name or whatever, but it’s too late now and is fine. I’ve never lied about what they are or anything and I mean, it’s branded Squier, but it’s a Fender guitar, produced by Fender, so somebody putting Fender on the headstock shouldn’t matter at all. I’d never try to sell them for anything that they aren’t - only advertising maybe the upgrades I made to the things and stuff and that it’s a Squier, but honestly if someone is trying to get one of these you’d think most would research what makes what model specific before doling out any real money. Someone in the market for a “real” Jaguar should know the most obvious ways to differentiate before actually shopping for anything
Last edited by Mechanical Birds on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am

tribi9 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 am
That Decal đź‘Ž
Also, what decal I don’t see any

jhanH
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jhanH » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 am

Mechanical Birds wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am
tribi9 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 am
That Decal đź‘Ž
Also, what decal I don’t see any
I cropped it out of the picture.. but there was a fender jazzmaster logo on the headstock

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:26 am

Yes, use whatever logo you please..

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:29 am

That Fiesta Red is a good choice. Keep at it. I re-did a Squier Strat and it became quite a nice guitar. Looking forward to more pics.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:26 pm

mbene085 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:52 pm
I don't think you need to hide the photos or feel shame for what you did. Lots of people get into philosophical arguments like "even if he never sells it, what if one day someone inherits it and sells it as a Fender and someone gets ripped off."

How about this: just don't sell it as a Fender. It doesn't sound like you intend to. It sounds like you're enjoying your refinished guitar. You can put a Hello Kitty logo on it, a Pepsi logo, a Gibson logo or anything else you want if it makes you happy, it's your guitar.

Having said that, I stopped caring what logo is on the headstock a long time ago. I picked up a guitar from HNB with one of his funky logos based on an anime I have never watched and will never watch, and ironically it is an actual Fender neck, but I could never be bothered to refinish it just to stick a Fender logo back on there.

TLDR: Do what you want with your guitar, and nice job on the fiesta red refinish.
fun fact. today i brought a squier bullet mustang that was sold to someone as a fender duo-sonic and they didnt know any better. their down ÂŁ370 because they fell for it and i had to explain to them why it was not what it seemed. yes there is a buyer beware rule but even then, you dont know the set of morals the person you are selling it to. this isnt even the first fake fender i've seen that someone has tried to sell on. i worked in a charity shop that got a fake fender in. we told the person who brought it that it wasnt a real fender and sold it for ÂŁ80. they came back 2 days later complaining we sold them a fake fender. it's best to remove all doubt.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 pm

jhanH - please post some closeup shots of the finish when you’re done?

The second time I ever tried a refin I misunderstood directions and used huge grit paper and then spraycan white, several coats, and now you can just see giant deep scratches under said white. Looks horrible haha.

I’ve been genuinely impressed with some of the amateur refin work I’ve seen on here tho. I don’t remember who, but the guy who painted his JMJM Charcoal Frost and put the solar flare Spitfire on it immediately comes to mind. This is something I really would like to get into. I got a bunch of scrap wood over the summer to use for practice and it’s just in a big pile in the garage.