For the love of curves. Another JM...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

For the love of curves. Another JM...

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 pm

I’ve been meaning to post this for awhile now, a year to be exact, so hear goes.

I picked this up on CL from a nice gentleman who is a former OSG member. He did quite a few mods that include Ken Rose pickups (hb in the neck & single coil in the bridge), Golden Age tremolo, Mustang bridge, mint pickguard, GFS XGP paddle neck that he shaped & routed the head stock, roller string trees, & modern tuners with vintage style tuner keys. What’s left is from a SQVMJM. He also threw in a DiPinto gig bag & the original SQVMJM neck. I ended up using that neck for another project. It’s a whole lot of guitar for his asking price of half that of a new SQVMJM.

My idle hands couldn’t leave it be. I reversed the pickups configuration & cleaned up the wiring & resoldered as necessary. I had an extra black pickup cover, so I swapped the cream one that was on the single coil. I ordered a black cover for the humbucker through Ken Rose, but he ghosted after I payed. Anyways, the skirted knobs & switch tip are from a JM Blacktop & I changed the mint guard for a white one that I had lying around.

The Golden Age trem lock button wouldn’t engage (common with these models) so I filed a longer slot path. The Mustang bridge isn’t for a 9.5” radius, so I filled the saddle slots in conjunction with a radius gauge. While I had the files out I filed the terribly sharp fret ends of the neck. I then gave the fingerboard a mild roll & put on Jockomo fret markers while I was at it. The markers are aged white pearl & look too green for my liking. I’ll swap them out for regular white pearl at some point. The headstock face was unfinished wood with the white stripe along the lower route, so I painted it black & shot clear over it & the white. I have to say the previous owner did some pretty good woodworking skills on the head stock. He also put a thin coat of oil of some sort over the back of the neck. It has a very nice, yet smooth “primitive” feel.

After everything was done I gave it a full set up with D’addario NYXL 12’s & slapped on some Twin Peaks stickers. Lynchmaster?

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: For the love of curves. Another JM...

Post by blimpage » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Looks rad! Very cool 😄

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:17 am

Looks super cool! I love the headstock + block inlay combo.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:06 am

Oh man that's really cool!
What did you put the other neck on?
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:06 am
Oh man that's really cool!
What did you put the other neck on?
Thanks for your kind words.

I put the neck on this. I have a small build log on here showing the undertaking, if you’re interested.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 am

Ah I've seen that before! Looks cool.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay