MJT Jazzmaster build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Kinghat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MJT Jazzmaster build

Post by Kinghat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:39 pm

I have wanted a pre-CBS Jazzmaster for many years, and last year I finally got in a position to try two with the finances to buy one. However, I couldn't bond with the necks. A 60s B neck is just too small for my hands. So... I decided to just build a clone. I have been building guitars since 2012 but I have never even tried to relic anything. I decided to buy a swamp ash body from MJT and have them do the aging, and they did a great job. I was torn between using a vintage guard and a Spitfire. I've bought two Spitfires and loved them, but this time I found a vintage tort guard. I have a Warmoth Jazz that I put together ten years ago with Lollars in it, so I am going to tear it down for its guts. I will build my own neck from a very nice piece of dark roasted maple, and will probably dye a rosewood fretboard to replicate a 60s board. Here is what I got in today:

Synthsinthesky
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: MJT Jazzmaster build

Post by Synthsinthesky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Any progress on this? Looks amazing!

DJwiz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: MJT Jazzmaster build

Post by DJwiz » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm

That does look good! I don't know how much you had to shell out for the vintage guard, but it will make for a great clone I think on that pretty authentic looking body!