Help with Dimensions Please

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PapaWheelie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help with Dimensions Please

Post by PapaWheelie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi everyone, my first post here.
Although I have never played one, I've decided to scratch build a Jazzmaster because I just love the looks and need a project. I've built a couple Stratocasters and Telecasters but things really look different here.

Can someone tell me the depth to route the neck, tremolo cavity, electronics cavities and the pickup cavity? I have not bought the trem or pickups yet but plan on using Fender parts - not sure of what ones but that will be another post. How are the pickups mounted? Am I correct that they are screwed to the body and foam placed underneath to act as a spring?

I apologize if these have been covered a hundred time but I really have searched. The more I look the more confused I get. I plan on 1-3/4" thickness for the body.

Thanks

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help with Dimensions Please

Post by kdanie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 am

Send me a PM and we can work out email so I can send you the PDF.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

PapaWheelie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PapaWheelie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:46 am

Ken,
PM sent. Thank you.

Steve

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 am

PDF sent, let me know if you get it
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

PapaWheelie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PapaWheelie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Got it Ken, thanks so much. There seems to be a lot of variations in the dimensions between sources on the web. I suppose electronics routes aren't that critical but the neck @ 9/16" is where I'll start.
The drawing shows the tremolo cavity at 3/8" deep. Is that all I'm going to need?

Thanks again Ken, I appreciate your help.

Steve

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:14 pm

I don't know what you're looking at, but the tremolo cavity should be 1.375" deep, if you're talking about a regular one of these:

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Sounds like they missed the 1" at the beginning of that dimension.

I have a pro built JM template that I use with the dimensions written on it but I'm a long ways from my shop for the next several months.

ken

PapaWheelie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PapaWheelie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:12 am

Ken,

"Sounds like they missed the 1" at the beginning of that dimension."

That make sense to me now. I hadn't ordered my tremolo yet so I wasn't quite sure of their size.
I was reading through sookwinders excellent thread in the library on his scratch build and now realize some of the depth dimensions are more important than I first thought with the belly cut coming into play. Also have been working on my templates and am going to copy sookwinders neck pocket template with the 1/2 degree angle built in.

Thanks for your help with this,
Steve