Slide SG side project is done-ish. Close enough.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Slide SG side project is done-ish. Close enough.

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

EDIT: I was hot linking all of my old pictures from Facebook, and they are still there. Not sure why that isn't working now. So most of the photos here won't work. The news do though, which is weird.

So my awesome wife bought me a kit for a mini guitar for me to build for my little girl. I'm not in love with the body, but at some point I might make a new body for it she ends up learning and liking how to play and would like something different. In preparation for that I will be cutting the headstock to closely resemble a Tele. Because I hope to one day make a mini tele body, and also it should help offset how large the headstock is compared to the body.

The neck comes rather thick and wide for a small child. The stock size is pretty much a standard size electric at least at the nut. So right now my plan is to shave some off the width and make it an A width neck, and to also shave a fair amount of the shoulders of the profile to give it a thinner V shape.

The stock pickup is a high output ceramic job, but I think I'm going to through in an SD mini humbucker I have laying around with a conversion mounting ring. I also don't like the style of bridge it came with, so I'll be using a cut down tele bridge. First I need to find both the pickup and bridge that I already have tough... lol.

My little girl said she wanted it to be blue, but rather then go with cheap-import-blue I picked up some Ice Metallic looking lacquer from the Advance Auto today. Hopefully she likes it because everything else they had was really dark or really blah looking.
This will get a matching headstock with custom Smith logo as well.

PS, the Tonica Bass project for my older step daughter is still on, Right now I am just waiting for the Redwood body blank to get joined and then that should be moving forward.
Last edited by AWSchmit on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mini guitar for my 3-year-old

Post by kdanie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Love it, pick up a couple cans of dupicolor clear too for top coat.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 am

This is such a cool project. Your ideas for it are top notch. She'll love it!

Besides being a more balanced size for this one, I like the look of a Tele headstock on a Strat body shape anyway.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Slight progress has been made. The headstock has been shaped, the neck width has been narrowed to a more A width, some meat was removed from the solders of the neck to give a thin V for my girls tiny hands (I sure this will still be big on her for a while), more shaping, finish sanding, and finally sealer, sanding, and primer (no primer pictures, but you know what that looks like.)

On a side note, I have finally made steps on an OLD OLD OLD project I started at least over 6 years ago because it was before I moved and got married. And that is an SG project I got in trade from a fellow forumite many years ago. It has a weird twist in the fretboard near the body (meaning, the twist was sanded in rather than happening in the wood over time) thus making it not a good player, plus I never did like much of the wood work or inlay work as it was all a little shoddy. It might like OK in these pics, but it's not in person. That being said I've always wanted a dedicated electric slide guitar with high action, and since this guitar is made with neck through construction and all very hard dense woods, I knew it could make a sound I would like, plus I love the look of SG's so this ticked a lot of boxes for me, I've just never gotten around to doing anything with it. So in the pics below you will see it in a sealed stand after much sanding and filling. However currently it is curing in my living room completely covered in primer. (not pictured). That's right, this who things is getting covered in paint. More to come on that...

I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Nice job on the headstock. Skinnying down the neck for your daughter is a good idea. You can fit it with a larger neck in the future if she needs it.

That SG is interesting. I can't say I've seen another like it. Did it have binding all the way around at one time? Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Rgand wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 pm
Nice job on the headstock. Skinnying down the neck for your daughter is a good idea. You can fit it with a larger neck in the future if she needs it.

That SG is interesting. I can't say I've seen another like it. Did it have binding all the way around at one time? Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar.
Yes. It had that binding design all around it when I first got it but no bevels. I hated to cut them out, but an is an SG without bevels really an SG?

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Yeah, I agree it needs bevels to be an SG. Good choice, there. Just like a Strat can't have a 1/8" roundover. It just ain't right.

LossyShades
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LossyShades » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 pm

That’s a cool mini guitar project for your little lady. I have a two month old daughter that I’m hoping plays one day. I’d like to have a Jag or a Mustang in shell pink waiting for her!

Have you heard of Loog guitars? Those look like a cool option for kiddos too but more basic with only 3 strings.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am

brettjorg wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 pm
That’s a cool mini guitar project for your little lady. I have a two month old daughter that I’m hoping plays one day. I’d like to have a Jag or a Mustang in shell pink waiting for her!

Have you heard of Loog guitars? Those look like a cool option for kiddos too but more basic with only 3 strings.
Yeah, Ideally I'd like to build her something Loog-like, but you can't find similar kits. A 3-string option would have been ideal actually. And since I like making stuff and not buying stuff I didn't want to just buy her a loog. I'm not much of a neck builder though. You'd think they'd sell a neck, but they don't I checked with them. I was thinking though, if nothing else, I could turn all 6 string to an open chord and just show her how to mash the strings and rock out. We'll see how it goes.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:07 am

Also, I snapped some pics last night of the SG in Black Primer after a rub down with some 600 grit sandpaper.

This will actually be getting the IBM-like finish that I posted above and the mini guitar will get an almost seafoam green that Maddy picked out the other day. She liked it better, she said.
:-*

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mini guitar for my 3-year-old - Also Slide SG side proj.

Post by PixMix » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 am

Nice progress on both, AW. I really like the light blue metallic color you choose. I refinished a Squier mini strat for my son and we decided to put some racing stripes. That body looks perfect for some stripes. ;D

Looking forward to seeing the further stages of your project.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am

Got some color on yesterday. Needs some light sanding and more paint, but I'm liking it.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 am

That's a good color. Nice choice, there.

LossyShades
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LossyShades » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Ah that’s super cool. Dig the color and the philosophy of building it yourself. Keep us posted on the progress!

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:12 am

I applied decal and started spraying clear...

Sprayed the SG and started lightly dusting on some clear.