Jazzmaster Prototype Carved Headstock

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster Prototype Carved Headstock

Post by onichodaddy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 am

I have always loved the look of the carved headstock on the Jazzmaster prototype. I just got my hands on a MP Coronado neck and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to carve out some of the headstock wood to resemble the Jazzmaster prototype headstock. I recall reading somewhere that the JM prototype headstock had been carved by hand. Would a router, electric planer or some combination of the two work? Don’t think I can handle chiseling by hand.

onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster Prototype Carved Headstock

Post by onichodaddy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:11 am

Here is the Coronado headstock, which has a similar shape and is bound with inlays like that JM prototype.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 am

A router (set to maybe 1/8" or 5/32" depth) is the correct tool for that job.

I had a Marauder project that OSG user Deed_Poll was going to modify a neck for. I sent him that image and the plan was to take a CBS style headstock, round the point Coronado style and then rout the relief into it.

But then I ended up finding a vintage Coronado neck that I decided to use for the project, so obviously I abandoned all thoughts of modding it.

I'd love if you made this happen. It would be the first Rossmeisel JM headstock made on OSG to my knowledge. It's a beautiful design and I'd love to see it on a project!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 am

Agree that it'd be a cool project, but maybe do it with a reissue neck or something rather than a vintage one. Not least b/c as cool as the project would be, it'd kill the value of the vintage neck for you.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 am

A router is the right tool for the job indeed. You would need to make a very simple sled for it, as I don't think it would be very practical to balance the base of the router on the headstock itself. The sled's legs would only need to be a few inches high. I'd then make a thick-ish template to guide a flush trim bit with the ball bearing mounted on the shaft, and taper the template to make sure it fits in with the curve between the nut and the headstock. Not too much hard work, but make sure you have everything figured out before the bit hits the wood...

onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by onichodaddy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:53 pm

All, thanks for the great suggestions. I will be using a reissue neck so I won’t be destroying a vintage neck to do this. Will need to give some thought on how to approach this. If anyone out there feels they are up for this task, let me know and we can discuss via PMs. Any suggestions for members who may be able to do this would be welcome. Otherwise, I may take a few cheap necks I have lying around and try my hand at this.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 am

Using a router without experience is something to be very very cautious about. For such a shallow carve, it may be worth considering shaping a piece of thin ply to the outline of the raised part and then gluing it onto the front of the headstock - it would take some fiddle to conceal it on the sides, but you would have unlimited chances to get it right using inexpensive materials, instead of one shot using an expensive neck which will be worthless if you screw it up.

onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by onichodaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks! That is another great idea. May seriously consider that option. One of my concerns is the headstock becoming too thin if a relatively large amount of its surface area gets trimmed off.

flysky578
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by flysky578 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:40 pm

I hope one day we see that in production ::)

Really dig the design

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 am

Great idea!
The Coronado headstock shape is the best one Fender came up with IMO and the Rossmeisel headstock is a great spin on it.

Be cautious that the reissue Coronado necks have a longer neck heel afaik; so they won't fit a standard neck pocket without some modification.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

onichodaddy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by onichodaddy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am

Are you sure that the reissue Coronado neck is longer than a standard JM neck? Have seen a few mods on this site where people have managed to us that neck as is on JMs without modifications. I know the reissue necks for the Starcaster is longer than standard length and Cross Guitars showed how to trim that neck down to fit a body that takes a standard 25.5” neck.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:58 am

You will never be able to free hand a cut like that so you will need to make a template of the shape you want. It will have to be thick enough to get the base of the router above the nut and wide enough to support the router without tipping. I would make a master out of 1/4" mdf because it's easy to shape then use that to make a working template from 3/4" mdf to do the actual cut on the headstock. I would make it large and have the area to be cut as a hole so the router base is well supported. Don't glue it to the headstock, use a couple inches of "carpet tape" - it's a double sided mesh tape available at most hardware stores. NEVER use double sided foam tape. I hope you get the idea of what I'm describing so you can accomplish this with accuracy and safety.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:09 am

onichodaddy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am
Are you sure that the reissue Coronado neck is longer than a standard JM neck? Have seen a few mods on this site where people have managed to us that neck as is on JMs without modifications. I know the reissue necks for the Starcaster is longer than standard length and Cross Guitars showed how to trim that neck down to fit a body that takes a standard 25.5” neck.
I think I was wrong on this one; I just counted the frets on the reissue and they have 21 frets; so it should fit.
The Starcaster has 22 frets and no overhang, that's where the problems come from. You're right. Sorry!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 am

For a one off this would be fairly simple to do freehand the old fashioned way. Draw it out on the headstock, score that line with a knife and go at it will a chisel, rescore as needed to insure a clean cut. About a 15 or 20 minute job, 10 minutes tops if you own a router plane.
MatthewK wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 am
Using a router without experience is something to be very very cautious about. For such a shallow carve, it may be worth considering shaping a piece of thin ply to the outline of the raised part and then gluing it onto the front of the headstock - it would take some fiddle to conceal it on the sides, but you would have unlimited chances to get it right using inexpensive materials, instead of one shot using an expensive neck which will be worthless if you screw it up.
No reason to use plywood, a solid maple headstock veneer is about the right thickness and less than $5, no edges to hide. My one problem with this is that you would have to bend it up the curve leading to the fretboard level, otherwise there would be an obvious line unless you cut the veneer right from the headstock, and even then it would be a trick to do it invisible.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Ayrton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ayrton » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:50 am

I know I am late to the party, but a template and router would be your best bet. You will need a low profile template bit with a bearing guide.
-Chris