Jaguar stolen, looking for another!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
cutlassmike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar stolen, looking for another!

Post by cutlassmike » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Love me some Jaguar!
Had one as my first REAL guitar, at 19, a gift from my Dad, albeit a new, mid 90s, MIJ reissue, but man, it played well and I had a BLAST with it. Did a double Humbucker mod on it nearly instantly as it was the mid 90s and Nirvana was at the top of the food chain. Cherry red, Black DiMarzio humbuckers {Fred and Tone Zone}, chrome pick up trim,,, it was pretty. I did the mods WELL before Fender was making the Cobain Jaguar or the Jaguar HH.

The guitar was so pretty that some DICK decided to steal it from me at knife point about 10 years ago! If the guy didn't have a 12" blade and 50 pounds on me I may have put up a fight. Alas, with my heart beating, I watched my Offset Jaguar disappear into the night. Upset,,,very very upset as it was a gift from Dad who died a year or so before this.

Such is life, but I ended up replacing it with a very nice, original 1973 Mustang {black with black pick guard} followed by a 1977 USA stratocaster that I refinished with clear lacquer and loaded with Fender Lace Sensor pick ups and controls from a 1999 Strat Plus Deluxe.

All nice guitars but NOT my Jaguar. Which brings me here. I am looking for another Jaguar to "fill the void". I prefer vintage {60s or 70s}. I am hoping that the Offset Guitar community can point me to a viable project guitar? I'm not hung up on original pristine examples as they tend to be priced more as an investment rather than a usable instrument. I had a MIJ and it was great,,, but this time I want a real USA Jaguar.

I'm a bit of a "hot rodder" when it comes to my cars AND guitars but I never modify a nice example where it can't be put back stock. Think Resto-mod. I will not fuck up a nice guitar {or car} for the sake of a mod. If I want to permanently mod something {I.E. routing for humbuckers} I will hunt down a P.O.S. or previously/badly modded example and modify that. Anything you do to a guitar that has one foot in the grave is an improvement as long as it becomes usable again.
I would love to do a full mod Jaguar BUT it would need to be a very "well worn" example or half a guitar.

Minimum requirements to start a build are the body and a neck with head stock decals in place. Even if I could find a complete guitar with a broken neck OR body {hopefully body as the neck donates year and model}.
Worn out Jaguars, Modified jaguars, flooded Jaguars, refinished Jaguars, broken Jaguars, routed out Jaguars, incomplete Jaguars. I need something to start with that is viable.

If I'm lucky enough to find a "nicer" jaguar, that is not more money than my car, it would be kept nice and stock with maybe a pick up swap {I like crunchy pick ups} but not painted or modified.
A broken or previously modified Jaguar would be tastefully modded. Humbucker mod? Extra tone knob? A refinish to clear {I love that look}?
I will let the guitar's condition/completeness dictate what type of build {or possibly none at all} is required.

I'm sure that I am one of many looking for this but like my Dad said; "You don't ask you don't have a chance."

I will pay a good dollar for a usable guitar! $1000, $1500, $2000... I am NOT looking for a freebie or so cheap i "stole it". I've had one stolen, it sucks!!

I'm sure some will scoff a some stranger yelling into the internet hoping for a desirable Jaguar to fall into his lap.
Well, I have to try. I've been looking for the right instrument for 3 years now and I will have to keep yelling at the internet till I find the right one!

Help a Brother out?

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar stolen, looking for another!

Post by Ceylon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 pm

I haven't got one to sell, but with a story like that I might try and re-create the one you had stolen from you. The pickups can still be had, as can chrome trim rings, and even a cheap Squier JM body would do if you'd re-finish it anyway, if a cheap CIJ can't be found. It'd never be the same obviously, but if that's the Jaguar you remember having and loving, well...
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Man, I am so sorry that happened! I HATE thieves!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:49 pm

oh man, that really sucks!
(It also sucks how many bands' vans got broken into over the last few years... hopefully this stops one day and people only rob banks if need be...but no more street robbery...)

where are you located? Reverb and those used market sites offer a quite wide variety of offsets these days - but the Jazzmasters are still easier to find than Jaguars it would seem. Candy apple reds (I didn't know there were cherry reds too) are usually quite easy to find I think (I don't really like that colour but they appear everywhere...

To narrow it down a bit... you want the classic appearance? so three chrome plates? (no player or blacktop then). Within your range: for +/-1000 you could easily find some nice mexican, older japanese and for a bit more even an avri jag. Vintage - meaning 60s - are above 3000 right now I think...
or you let a luthier build you one to your exact specs? I guess for 2000 you're easily in... or MJT for bodies and finish... they even route it how you want it I suppose - and you don't need to buy the relicing-job if you don't want them to do it and assemble it yourself.

cutlassmike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cutlassmike » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks for the supportive comments! It is appreciated. Most other things that have been stolen form me I can replace or live with out with NO emotional fall out. A stolen GUITAR is one that sticks with you!

I'm located in Manitoba Canada. I have exhausted the usual routs for finding a vintage guitar, Reverb, Ebay, Craigslist. Most vintage items being VERY nice and VERY Pricy. I kind want a "player grade" or road worn type instrument. I could not bring myself to refinish a survivor guitar.

Found this https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/d/ ... 73717.html

BUT its in Florida. It couldn't get much further from where I am. LOL I'm tempted to reach out and see if we can strike a deal,, but I believe it would be difficult to negotiate, arrange shipping, and payment from thousands of miles away in a different country. I will try though. Price is right, it looks complete and some one screwed the finish already. Looks like it was painted with a toilet brush!!!
GOD would I would love to see this thing with a nice clear lacquer and a pair or lace sensor single pick ups!

I CAN find MIM, MIJ or Squire examples,,,, but I am just a sucker for that vintage charm. This time round, I am scraping around for the old USA ones as I do believe that guitars made in the USA are superior to imported ones. It may just be in my head,,,, but my USA Strat plays SO much better than my old Japan Strat.
I guess I'm kinda hoping that one of you OSG Jaguar aficionados of the world might have one old, crusty, builder quality instrument in need of a new lease on life.

I'll contact the Craigslist 63' Jag and post what happens.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:42 pm

that's a very nice jaguar at a reasonable price! If shipping and import fees weren't so terrible around here, I'd be highly tempted!
I'd go for it. :)