Correct round over radius on a non-reverse Firebird?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Correct round over radius on a non-reverse Firebird?

Post by the older brother » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 am

What the topic says. Anyone got this info? I got good drawings and measurements for making templates, but just realized I miss this info.

(Just got some mahogany that needs to be turned into something cool).

:)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Correct round over radius on a non-reverse Firebird?

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 am

Looks like 1/8" to me. Some look a tiny bit sharper than others, maybe 2mm? But then again it could be the metallic colours tricking my eye. I'd go with 1/8" ;)
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks! :)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Be careful when buying roundover bits, all the measurements can be really confusing and it doesnt seem like there's an exact standard. For instance, many of my tools have a diameter measurement that is the width of the whole tool, others it's the bearing diameter.

It doesn't help when a lot of my tools come from China and it's not clear what's what on the minimal packaging (usually just a square tool cover).

The roundover radius itself is sometimes given as "radius" and sometimes as "b", and the shank size can also confuse things since the measurement comes sometimes before and sometimes after (so it might say "... shank 1/4" radius ...." or "1/4" roundover bit" when the 1/4" is referring to the shank diameter) and that can make things extra confusing when a lot of the measurements are superficially similar.

More than once I've thought I have the exact tool I need for a job only to find I'm remembering the wrong measurement, or conversely ordered a new tool only to discover I already have the one I need.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form