Laser metal cutting services

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Laser metal cutting services

Post by percnon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 am

I've been away from the guitar-making game for a few years while studying but just recovering my old hobbies and discovering what's changed. One thing that seems to have improved is small-scale bespoke laser cutting-type services.

A few years ago, from what I recall, this was pretty expensive and not much competition. I used http://www.razorlab.co.uk for prototyping or making very precise templates from plywood but getting things cut in metal was more difficult and expensive, particularly in the UK.

There now seems to be more options. The first thing I've come across is https://www.lasermaster.co.uk. Not used them yet but got a quote for a fully custom pickguard design (JM/mustang/P bass hybrid), and it was pretty reasonable:

0.9mm aluminium, £25 + VAT (20%), or
1.5mm brass, £33 + VAT.

As well as brass and aluminium, they'll cut steel up to 10mm, which opens up a lot of possibilities for other things. The quote took a couple of weeks, and I'm sure that other such companies are available but this firm make a point of offering one-off rather than just commercial services, which seems good for luthiery-type needs.

In the past, I made a pickguard from aluminium based on plywood templates with hand tools but didn't enjoy it much. Would probably be much easier with better tools and more competence. However, for very precise designs, and in particular for doing things like cutting rectangular switch holes, the laser cutting service would seem to be a good option.

Will report back if/when I investigate further. Definitely need the pickguard and thinking also of trying to design a fixed-style tuneomatic bridge. I.e. where the saddles have slots specially cut for them rather than being adjustable.

paulnb57
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Laser metal cutting services

Post by paulnb57 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:54 am

Interesting stuff, with great possibilities, how do you provide them with a template for what you require for say, a custom scratchplate?

Thanks for the heads up.....

percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Laser metal cutting services

Post by percnon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:50 am

I sent them a PDF generated from my Inkscape file. According to the website they'll also accept CAD and JPEG.

I don't have said image/file to hand at the moment but the result should look the same as this one that I made by hand:

In case anyone's wondering about the patchy black finish, it's treated with this, but never quite took properly and I didn't get round to fixing it:

Likewise, that guitar needs a slightly larger bridge pickup mounting ring. I've tried two different ones and neither quite cover up the rout (hence the black tape).