an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
User avatar
NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:58 pm
Location: S. California

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by NateD81 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am

Danley wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am
Yeah, maybe he should try to get some 'experience' on a cheap Squier first though.
I guess? I mean at the end of the day, it's his guitar, right? As long as he's not messing with mine -- why should we be too concerned?

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9311
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by tribi9 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am

NateD81 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am
Danley wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am
Yeah, maybe he should try to get some 'experience' on a cheap Squier first though.
I guess? I mean at the end of the day, it's his guitar, right? As long as he's not messing with mine -- why should we be too concerned?
Or sell the body, buy a cheap unfinished body, get some supplies, have money left over and still gain some "experience"...
Beware of for sale ads advertising Fender Squires, usually they're neither... and remember.. Say NO to relics!

User avatar
NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:58 pm
Location: S. California

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by NateD81 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 am

tribi9 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am
NateD81 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am
Danley wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am
Yeah, maybe he should try to get some 'experience' on a cheap Squier first though.
I guess? I mean at the end of the day, it's his guitar, right? As long as he's not messing with mine -- why should we be too concerned?
Or sell the body, buy a cheap unfinished body, get some supplies, have money left over and still gain some "experience"...
I hear what you guys are saying, but again, this is not our project or our guitar so the OP is certainly allowed to follow his prerogative. Just sayin'...

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9311
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by tribi9 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 am

He's asking for advice tho'

OP, feel free to look at some of the refinished "beauties" some members have done here, there are lots of threads with less than stellar home refinishing jobs.
Beware of for sale ads advertising Fender Squires, usually they're neither... and remember.. Say NO to relics!

User avatar
NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:58 pm
Location: S. California

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by NateD81 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:03 am

tribi9 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 am
He's asking for advice tho'

OP, feel free to look at some of the refinished "beauties" some members have done here, there are lots of threads with less than stellar home refinishing jobs.
You're right, he is asking for advice but from my understanding, he is asking for advice on how to complete the project. Either way, I'd learn on a different body but it's not my money so best of luck to the OP!

User avatar
oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by oid » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:42 pm

I would just practice on a couple pieces of scrap wood, no reason for the expense of a whole body when scraps are free.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

User avatar
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 am
Location: California Republic

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by Danley » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:49 pm

oid wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:42 pm
I would just practice on a couple pieces of scrap wood, no reason for the expense of a whole body when scraps are free.
Stripping the body itself is an adventure; but I guess you don't *have* to do that.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

User avatar
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1503
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am
Location: fROMOHIO

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Not saying anyone should, but I've sprayed several guitars in nitro lacquer indoors in winter at my house and am not dead yet... You certainly want a good respirator and you'd want to drop cloth/tarp the heck out of the room you're spraying in, but if you keep the room sealed off from the rest of the domicile it's not totally outside the realm of sanity IMO. In an apartment you're alot more likely to have problems w/ neighbors/landlords and the potential for eviction and/or loss of security deposit though.

I certainly agree that the best way to go is to get another body that's already a color you like and sell the original/hang onto it for future sale. If you really want to try your hand at doing a finish, I'd snag an unfinished one from Warmoth/AllParts/where ever and use that one. If your thought was to strip the pre-finished body to raw wood there's a really good chance it will be cheaper in the long run if you place even a $5/hour value on your time.

.02

sndansby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 am

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by sndansby » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi all,

I am going to post some pictures of what I am starting with soon so that you guys can advise me on which path to take with this guitar. I just received a new tort pick guard and it looks cheap. It's from China and I bought it on NYE while going from one party to the next so my judgement was not what is should have been. I did not pay much for it so I am thinking another to replace the replacement. I also have black pickup covers and new knobs on the way.

User avatar
TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 am

Re: an idiot with a new guitar, spray can, and a dream

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 am

I think you’re on the right path. If you don’t want to go to the lengths of painting or replacing the body then swapping pickups, knobs, pu covers, etc. can go a long way to make a body color more tolerable.

Post Reply