Jagmaster Mod Series/Parallel

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
felixtheg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jagmaster Mod Series/Parallel

Post by felixtheg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:52 am

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

I'm changing up my red sparkle Jagmaster and sticking in 3 pickups I had lying around, just needed a bit of help with a wiring diagram if anyone's done this kind of thing before.

My pups will be 2 x Artec mini filtertron (cheap ebay purchase) and a Seymour Duncan Little 59 for Tele in the bridge.

What I really want is MF in neck and middle and 59 in the bridge, each with a 2-way slider switch to change each pickup between series/parallel for each coil. They all have 4 conductors so this should be possible.

Then I'd like a Strat-style 5-way selector with master vol, master tone and blend knob (common mod for strat whereby it blends neck pickup in when in position 1&2 and blends bridge pickup in when in 4&5). Wired like a strat so positions 2&4 are parallel.

Finally a fourth 2-way slider switch to engage either the normal circuit above or to have all pickups together in series (one big pickup I guess?) for an uber dark and hot sound. Is this doable?

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Felix

felixtheg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jagmaster Mod Series/Parallel

Post by felixtheg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 am

Oh also that fourth slider switch goes direct to the output too, no pots or anything.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 am

that's really weird. when i brought my last jagmaster, it came with 2 artec filtertron style pickups.
im really not into humbuckers in the bridge so at the moment, it's got a singlecoil from a first act but im going to change that for an artec p90 humbucker sized.

i dont know if what you are attempting is fully doable since im not a switch expect but it seems a little much. plus series/parallel seems to work way better with lower output pickups. using higher ones usually makes even the cleanest amps want to fart out.

p.s. please dont hack up the jagmaster guard, get a new one made. it's became impossible lately to find a jagmaster guard that's not been hacked up.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

felixtheg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by felixtheg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 am

Oh don't worry I wont be hacking my guard up, buying a new blank and laser cutting it – want to make zero permanent changes, I'll keep the original components attached to the original guard.

In terms of the series thing, I usually have my amp pretty clean and hoping this will be a really dark hot sound to make a change from my usual

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 am

The last thing you mention, putting all the pickups in series and bypassing the other switching to go straight to the jack, I'm no pro when it comes to wiring but I'm gonna go ahead and say that's impossible to do with just one switch. There's a Bass VI mod schematic floating around here somewhere that I think would basically let you put 3 pickups in series with one slider switch (based on an interplay with the other on/off switches), but I think also having it bypass the other controls is a no-go. Also, using the same knob to blend in both the neck pickup and the bridge pickup, that doesn't seem easily doable and also not that necessary? If you have a blend pot on one of them surely you can access all the sounds anyway?

I mean, it sounds cool all together but I'll agree with Sean that it does seem a bit much. I think you'd end up with a much more versatile guitar if you went with, say, phase switches or treble/bass cuts (especially with humbuckers) than trying to wire 3 fairly hot pickups in series
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

felixtheg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by felixtheg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am

Here's the blender pot I was talking about – it's usage is much more for blending rather than just turning on or off the opposite pickup. For example I use it most on my strat to warm up positions 1+2 etc, between 0-5 using a linear pot.

https://www.mojotone.com/stratblender.jpg

What happens if I run all pickups to the first run of lugs of that switch first, have the middle going to the output jack, then lug 3 has a breakout that goes to each other switch to operate series/parallel for each pickup, then onto the 5-way, then onto the pots. That's my pig-headed attempt to make it work haha.