Lace Hot Golds - Commentary & Clip

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Lace Hot Golds - Commentary & Clip

Post by Danley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Got a deal on a set of Hot Golds and dropped them in my cheap Strat; I've missed Sensors ever since I experienced a Red/Silver/Blue set in a Strat Plus Deluxe, so wasn't sure how I'd feel about Hot Golds in comparison but bottom-line: I like them. They have a lot more of the chime/sparkle/quack of a regular Strat single, while retaining the Lace-y sort of bounce and crisp 'compression.' Much less 'rolled-off' than a Red/Silver/Blue set, yet they can do about the same things if you want them to.

Made the recording below to compare with a couple other Strats if you want a listen; guess who my inspiration was for wanting to try the Sensors:

https://clyp.it/pv3yy0nc

Guitar 1 - Gold Parts Strat
(Lace Sensor Golds - Clean Neck/Distorted Bridge)
00:00 - 01:26
Guitar 2 - $50 Parts Strat
(Rose Mariposas; A5 singles - Clean Neck/Distorted Bridge)
01:27 - 02:53
Guitar 3 - American Deluxe Strat
(500k no tone - Clean Duncan Classic Stack Neck/Distorted MJ Screamin Demon)
02:54 -

That said - overall I like the Duncans best of the above clips, but the fact that they're in an American Strat vs. the piece of junk Strats I made from spare parts sort of skews things. Clean they do come pretty close to each other.

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lace Hot Golds - Commentary & Clip

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Nice! I've been on the verge - for years - of ordering a set of Chrome Domes because they look so damn good and I love noiseles/low noise singles. They're based on the Hot Golds, so this clip was great to hear.

That's a great-looking strat, too!

I do think #3 (the American with Duncans?) sounds the most Strat-y, but those Hot Golds have most of the Strat thing going on, with a bit of their own flavour. I like it!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lace Hot Golds - Commentary & Clip

Post by Danley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks! This is sort of dumb but- Since Lace makes so many pickups/sensors I mapped them all out on a spreadsheet as far as spec to figure out if it even mattered which ones I got my hands on.

Chrome domes are almost identical to Hot Golds, apparently; and only the bridge is that different. I actually prefer the look of the plastic sensors myself. In retrospect the clip doesn't really do the pickups justice because I really am enjoying them.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!