Jazzmaster Series/Parallel Push Pull Pot

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
baseggio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster Series/Parallel Push Pull Pot

Post by baseggio » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 am

I'm thinking about trying to wire up my Jazzmaster to have a Series/Parallel option. I know a lot of folks like to use the rhythm circuit switch to do this, but I'm still not sure I want to get rid of it. So I was thinking of using a push pull pot or an S1 button. I found this thread (http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=37419) with a simple enough diagram, but I'm not sure how to wire it up while leaving the rhythm circuit in. Does anyone know of a diagram for this? I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, but not great at thinking through the circuits. Thanks in advance!

Gevalt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Series/Parallel Push Pull Pot

Post by Gevalt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong.
Make the neck negative go to ground through the series switch, & when pulled up, send the neck-neg to a wire spliced into the bridge positive. This way, you get to pull up for a lead circuit of bridge/bridge/both series and Rhythm circuit of both in series. If you want Rhythm circuit dedicated to neck alone always, put bridge neg into neck pos for reverse order.
You can also add a phase switch before the series, alternating the pickup that receives the negative(s).

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 am

I made one awhile back for someone on here. It also has a strangle switch which you could leave out. Two things of note here:

1) The rhythm circuit works with both pickups, not just the neck pickup as is Fender standard.

2) There WILL be a dead spot in one of the toggle switch positions if in series mode. Doing the series-parallel switch as a separate switch makes it near impossible to get rid of that. You can do it with a rotary though.

If you have an idea that's not on my schematic page page, let me know and I could help you with a specific schematic if you need it.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

baseggio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by baseggio » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks Shadoweclipse13! Seeing it laid out this way really makes it easy to understand for me. Because I'm a little new to pickup wiring, I have a couple of questions:

1. I assume the switch directly above the neck pickup is the strangle switch you mentioned?
2. It looks like the grounds are not too different from standard wiring: I wouldn't have to even touch the rhythm volume, lead volume and tone, the output jack's sleeve, the rhythm/lead switch's and the bridge pickup's grounds. Looks like the neck pickup's ground would be removed and I'd have to add one to this new push/pull pot I'd be adding. Does that sound about right?

I for one don't mind the kill switch - I find it desirable and making the rhythm circuit use either pickup is a nice bonus. Really nicely laid out circuit compared to a lot of what I've seen.

Also, thanks to Gevalt for responding. I do appreciate it, even if a diagram makes more sense to my brain.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:20 am

You're welcome! And thank you! I've seen a lot of schematics that I didn't like, and when I started posting them, I made sure to stick to a standard for my stuff. I like that all my schematics have a set style ;D

1) Yep, the switch on the schematic that's directly above the neck pickup is the strangle switch. Easy to not use if you don't want it: just skip it, and keep the wire from the 3-way toggle output and send it directly to the input on the rhythm switch.

2) For series wiring, all you're doing is making a gigantic humbucker. That's overly simplified, but basically, parallel is each pickup having it's own positive/hot lead and ground, whereas series is having a positive/hot lead from one pickup, a ground from the other pickup, and the other two wires (ground from pickup 1, and positive/hot from pickup 2) wired together. If you look at the schematic, you'll see that the neck pickup has its positive/hot wire straight from the 3-way toggle, and the bridge pickup has its own ground. The series-parallel switch basically just changes whether the neck pickup ground goes to ground or gets connected to the bridge pickup, and it simultaneously changes whether the bridge pickup positive/hot wire goes directly the 3-way toggle or gets connected to the neck pickup.

Based on this switch here (which is what I always base my switches on, not the other type), you can follow the path of connectivity in either series or parallel mode.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384