90's Fender "Squier Series" J-Bass replacement pickguard (or repair suggestions)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

90's Fender "Squier Series" J-Bass replacement pickguard (or repair suggestions)

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Last night at practice my bassist noticed his input jack was getting wiggly. As It happens we keep a socket set in our space, so after finding the right size I handed to him and suggested he just use it to get it finger tight. That wasn't tight enough, so he got the socket out and proceeded to go gorilla on it and crack the single ply guard. Ugh. Unlike most J basses this has the controls and routs for the pickup on on continuous piece (no separate chrome control plate). See below.

Does anyone stock a guard that will fit this? Anyone know if the other hole pattern lines up with another standard J pattern in a way that would allow a separate control plate to be added. I know that would mean putting some extra holes in the body, but I don't think he would care much as long as the old ones are hidden behind the guard/plate.

I believe this one is the same specs.
https://www.worldshopping.global/en/detail/1777151

I should also mention that he/we as a band are pretty tight on funds. If there is a stable way to repair this from the back that looks semi-acceptable that would be fine too.

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Re: 90's Fender "Squier Series" J-Bass replacement pickguard (or repair suggestions)

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Cut one out of an old 12" record? That's pretty low budget if you're handy with a Dremel and a hacksaw. :)
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 90's Fender "Squier Series" J-Bass replacement pickguard (or repair suggestions)

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 am

Can't you just slap on a control plate?
Put it on top of the pickguard, trace where it meets with the guard and cut the lower apendage off along those lines?
Seems like an easy fix.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:23 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:08 am
Can't you just slap on a control plate?
Put it on top of the pickguard, trace where it meets with the guard and cut the lower apendage off along those lines?
Seems like an easy fix.
Yeah. That seems the most likely solution.