Dream Jazzmaster Build, or Yet Another Green Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Dream Jazzmaster Build, or Yet Another Green Jazzmaster

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:50 am

This is a project to build my dream Jazzmaster. While in a general sense, it has been in development for twenty years, I have been developing the specific parameters over the last two years. And now it's time to begin.

I had already been gassing for a Jazzmaster for a few years when Fender brought out the initial run of AVRI. But when I saw the AVRI Sherwood Green Jazzmasters it was love at first sight. There was no possible way I could afford one at the time though. And by the time I could have afforded one, they were scarce. So, for almost twenty years I have been lusting after a Sherwood Green Jazzmaster. Now, if I could find one of those AVRI models, I could probably afford it. But, I now know that in order to really be my perfect Jazzmaster, I would need the specs to be a bit different. So, here is yet another Sherwood Green Jazzmaster build.

It will be fairly vintage in appearance and tone, with some modernized specs. Sort of my own "Vintage Modified" or "Classic Player" version of the Jazzmaster. Unlike my last two builds, I won't be doing any woodwork or finishing or 3d printing of custom designed parts.

Almost two years ago I received a good sized profit sharing bonus from my job and I decided to set it aside to fund my dream Jazzmaster. I decided that if this was truly going to be my perfect Jazzmaster, I should be thoughtful, deliberate, and patient in my decision making. So, I have been doing research and gradually fine tuning my specs over the last two years. I have secured a few of the pieces already, purchasing them as good opportunities presented themselves.

Specs

Body: I did a lot of research on builders of Jazzmaster bodies. Of course OSG was the best source of information. I want this to be under 4.5 lbs and alder. I don't buy into the whole thing about tonewood in electric guitars, but the guitar I had been wanting for twenty years was alder and anything else would be a compromise. I had narrowed it down to Guitarmill, Saylor, or USACG, with Guitarmill as my first choice. Over the last few months I became serious about getting the body and began to regularly check their sites. Guitarmill has been out of stock of lightweight alder for a few months. Saylor's bodies were averaging just over 4.5 lbs. USACG had their custom shop closed for a while and while it reopened recently, Jazzmasters haven't been re-added to their offerings yet. BestGuitarParts had a 4lb 5oz body on their website that I was eyeing for awhile. I wasn't sure about them though, while I like their necks, I hadn't seen any reviews on their Jazzmaster bodies. Saylor had just posted a 4lb 5oz body the other day and I was considering that. But a few nights ago I spotted the right body. Guitarmill posted a 4.25 lb alder body. It couldn't have been on the site more than a few hours when I saw it. I bought it immediately and it's on it's way here now.

Neck: I know that the neck is the most important part, so I had to be sure that I had the right specs for me. I have necks with all sorts of radii, thicknesses, nut widths, and frets, and I can play them all fine. It is difficult to isolate those variables from each other and get things "perfect". I've used some of my recent projects to test out different specs. For example, getting a neck as close as possible to a neck I already have, but with one thing changed, like frets or thickness. The most recent neck I purchased from BestGuitarParts seems to be the perfect neck for me, so I will be using those specs. Woods are roasted maple for the aged maple color and the raw satiny feel, and ebony for the hardness and feel and because it has the darkness of a vintage rosewood board. No blocks, no binding. Abalone inlays because I love the look of abalone. This isn't ordered yet.

Edit: found an example of a neck with roasted maple and macassar ebony on the Warmoth showcase - this isn't the neck I'm using.

Color: In my research, I had discovered that the color Fender used for the Sherwood Green AVRI, was not vintage accurate and the finishing shops use the vintage formulation of Sherwood green. But, I don't want the vintage accurate Sherwood green, I want the AVRI shade. Also, I don't care about nitro, so don't need a vintage finish. Based on the quality of the finish on my recent Coyote project, I decided to use GuitarPaintGuys again and settled on their Euro Green Metallic color. In fact, I chose them for the Coyote project in order to test them out for this project.

Pretty close match

:? Image

Tuners: Kluson Revolution KTNC-3805CL
Maybe it's because I'm an interior designer, but it really bothers me that vintage style tuners are nickel, but tremolos and plates are chrome. Mixing metal finishes is like a mortal sin. Anyway, these are mostly vintage in appearance, with modern performance. Press-in bushings, slotted posts, oval buttons and vintage mounting, but with a 19:1 ratio, sealed mechanism, and a chrome finish.

String Tree: Gotoh barrel. I like these because they are very small, well made, and have no sharp edges. Essentially a more tasteful version of the Mastery tree.

Nut: Graptech Tusq

Tremolo: Stewmac Golden age with a Staytrem Collet. Already purchased and waiting. This was the best solution for a trem that doesn't say Fender or Mastery on it.

Bridge: Staytrem - already purchased and currently living on my Squier Jag. I know I said mixing metals was a mortal sin, but I don't believe in hell, so whatever. Function always trumps aesthetic decisions.

Pickguard: Parchment, possibly by Terrapin. Sorry OSG, I know you love tort and mint, but you're wrong. Tortoise only works on neutral colors and parchment is almost always better looking than mint.

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Antiquity II - purchased last year when Stratosphere had 15% off pickups for black Friday. Parchment covers.

Wiring: I may use a push/pull or an extra switch to get a series option, but other than that, vintage values.

Knobs: Witch hat

Name: TBD - may come up with a unique name, or may just call it Jazzmaster, not sure yet.

Even though I'm not doing any actual wood working or finishing, this will take a while to be completed. I'm thinking it will be done by next Spring. I've already waited twenty years, so a few extra months are fine with me.

Here's a mockup from the dressing room (slightly tweaked to darken colors).

That's it for know. I'll update as things happen.
Last edited by ThePearDream on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dream Jazzmaster Build, or Yet Another Green Jazzmaster

Post by Embenny » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Awesome!

I am 100% in the same boat - the original AVRI Sherwood green JMs came out right around the time I discovered/fell in love with offsets, and they were way out of reach at the time - and I still haven't come across one in Canada, or a reasonable price on one at a time I was able to pick one up.

So I'll get to experience this vicariously through this thread :D
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Congrats (in advance!

This should be a stellar JM. You like the shade of "Sherwood" that I do - what was used on the AVRI's.

A little story: A local music shop had a gorgeous Sherwood Green AVRI62 Strat back in the early 2000's. It had been there over a year and the price got reduced. Money was tighter back then, but I had played that guitar a number of times and loved it. Great sound, playability, and nice medium weight. That color was sooo beautiful too. Anyway, I played it again and decided I had to have it. Decided to sleep on it overnight tho. Went in the next day about an hour after shop opened and it had been sold 15 minutes before I got there. :( I've got 7 great USA Strats but that Sherwood AVRI will haunt me forever. I do have a wonderful Inca Silver AVRI57 Strat which is kinda cool and pretty rare and my 50th Anni Jag in Burgundy Mist is a real looker too, but Sherwood is my favorite original custom color.

I have never actually seen a Sherwood AVRI JM (except photos) but if so, it surely would be mine. Really miss the color offerings they used to have on the whole AVRI line in mid/late 90's thru early 2000's before it became limited to Olympic White, Black, and sunburst.

Anyway, sorry to digress...…. I think you have a great plan and I wish you great success getting your dream guitar! Looking forward to seeing it ! ;D

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah, the Sherwood AVRI strats were glorious too.

I've been tempted by them so many times. If I hadn't been specifically reserving this color for my Jazzmaster I would have one of those. I do have a great OTM strat that will look good next to this Jazzmaster though.

It seems like the entire OSG community is confused by Fender's colors. I know I am. Surveys consistently show that Blue is the most popular color for both men and women, with green being #2 for men and purple #2 for women. So what are the colors that Fender uses over and over? CAR, Oly White, black and sunburst. ::)
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:47 am

I have the body now. It is beautifully light weight with nice deep contours and good resonance when tapped. The finish shop is temporarily closed for the rest of the week due to unscheduled building maintenance, but I'll get it sent off soon.

I've been second guessing using the StewMac tremolo and have been looking at AVRI units. I was playing my Jaguar with a StewMac trem last night though and it feels great. The arm needed a little bit of bending, but it's much better than the Squier unit it came with. I have time to figure this out though.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:30 am

Very nice! I'm not usually a fan of abalone, but I can definitely see it working with that colour.

I agree with you on parchment as well ;)

I also have a nice colour that's sold to me as "ivory" that's actually a bit yellower, I usually recommend that if somebody wants a vintage style mint green since it's a much closer match to my '65 celluloid guard and aged plastics in general than anything I've found sold as mint green.

It's not at all pink like some of the "cream"s you get either. Put up against a warm colour (CAR, Fiesta, Shell Pink, BMM, 3TSB) honest to god anyone would call it mint green, but it doesn't have that pale "glow in the dark" look to it at all.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Quick update:

I bought an AVRI trem for this. I found a really good price on a brand new unit on ebay and was able to use a coupon to get it for around $60. I've never handled an AVRI trem before, but it only took a few seconds in hand to realize that it is of far better quality than any import trem. I didn't want a fender logo on my guitar, but it's not really a big deal. Lots of parts have logos on them - tuners, pickups, trems, straps. If I decide it really bothers me, I'll get a polished Faction trem plate and swap it in.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:52 am

Another quick update. I decided to get a special neck plate made.

This was from Philadelphia Luther Supplies. I ordered it last Tuesday night. When I woke up the next morning, they had emailed me a proof, which I okayed. It was shipped out a few hours later and arrived on Friday. It's a nice, thick, high quality plate. Thumbs up to them for their quick service.

A Guitarpaintguys facebook post from a few days ago was teasing some kind of fall special sale starting tomorrow, so I'm waiting to see if it's a deal that would apply to the color I want.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 pm

The body is on it's way to the finishing shop and the neck is ordered. Over the next few months I need to pick up the pickguard, tuners, electronics and decal.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:16 pm

So which of the colours did you pick in the end?

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm

I stayed with the Euro Green Metallic at full price.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm
I stayed with the Euro Green Metallic at full price.
Solid choice. Was wondering if that Kryptonite Green would seduce you on sale.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 am

No way. The kryptonite green is a great color, but not the color. I'm not making any compromises on this build.
Doug
@dpcannafax

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Love the neck plate. Confusion is Sex is such a great album. Most of it sounds like NYC traffic accidents and subway riots. I kid. I love showing it to people who only know their later albums. Such a raw recording.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.