Thinline Jazzmaster with Both Contours!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thinline Jazzmaster with Both Contours!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm

The guitar is amazing, but just watching how you made it was the shit!! Haha. I love watching build threads 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:20 am

this makes my head hurt, in a good way, though.
I love love love the effort you put into making sure the f-hole edge is a consistant thickness as it follows the arm contour.
Madness!

i noticed the extra material in one of the early pics, and didn't realize what you were up to.
:shifty:
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm

INCREDIBLE

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Whoa - looks stunning!

Love how you matched the grain pattern!!
Wanted to go Sonic Blue or Ocean Turquoise Metallic but am considering other more transparent options now :D

Some great ideas and top craftmanship in the build process - totally excited that this is going to be my guitar :w00t:

Nice one Dan!!

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm predicting right now that there's going to be an international market for these bodies. Jesus this is amazing.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:28 am

Cheers, guys!

No worries Nico. It's been a pleasure to work on from start to finish.

I'm just cutting the JM Jr today then I'll do all the roundovers together. More pics soon!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am

And the Jazzmaster Junior is off the machine! 35mm thick in heat treated poplar. I did the pickup routes deeper than usual to fit JMJM pickups. The "trem" cavity will take a hardtail plate cut for Tele pickup, hence the channel cut by the bridge pickup route to make it easier to drill a straight hole for the wires.

Edit: of course this will be getting a 1/8" roundover which will take off the tabs so no worries there ;)

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:11 am

Just posting to say that every time I check in on this forum I'm hoping for an update on these.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Masterful. Looking forward to more updates on this thin line build.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:12 am

What a fine guitar. loving this build.

maxbra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maxbra » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Beautiful.. Top work!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:48 am

Sorry to all waiting for replies to PMs and with projects on the go, I've fallen out of the loop for a few weeks but I'm back on it now. I'll be in touch in the next day or two.

Updates and pictures on these soon! Thanks for all your interest and enthusiasm it's great to have a captive audience! I've done the roundovers now and just need to sand them nice and smooth for finish. Then they're all ready and we can see what Nico has planned for them! I think I must be most excited of all to find out.

If I forget later, my huge thanks to Nico for his patience and taking a chance on something ambitious like this, it was something I've been mulling over for a while but it took Nico's initiative to get in touch and make it happen :)

I've learned a lot solving all the little challenges and have all the toolpaths ready now so it's really valuable to me to have all you guys on here to push and pull me in interesting directions.

To be honest I think that's a big reason I've managed to learn so much and experiment with genuinely interesting things. Otherwise I might have set up an eBay store and just popped out Tele bodies based on what's selling, and that's no fun by comparison! So thanks to all you guys with big dreams and crazy ideas for keeping me on the knife edge and not letting me get complacent :) you all know who you are!

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Uh...I don't think you could do complacent even if you tried, looking at all the details that go into your builds :)

When you tell people you're into 'building guitars' these days, more and more of them look at you and go 'oh, man, that's great - shame CNC is taking over that too'. I often end up bringing you up in those conversations and showing them your work, arguing that to the contrary, CNC is merely opening up new avenues in guitar making. I managed to miss this build back in October but it makes a perfect point of this. It seems some people think that CNC means you put any old piece of wood on the bed, press a button, and voilà, a double-inverted arch-top in a five-tone sunburst comes out. The same applies to furniture making, where people fantasize about the wood worker getting a perfect surface with his No 5 plane on a 6'x3' table top, sliding his hand across the wood to get rid of the last shavings and gently sighing in contentment, vs. the evil factory churning out those table tops on huge machines. It's great to know all the methods to skin the proverbial cat, but I don't think anyone in the business resents the invention of the planer/jointer.

Kinda getting out on a tangent here but it's always a pleasure to see your builds. Looking forward to seeing this one complete!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 am

epizootics wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 pm
Uh...I don't think you could do complacent even if you tried, looking at all the details that go into your builds :)

When you tell people you're into 'building guitars' these days, more and more of them look at you and go 'oh, man, that's great - shame CNC is taking over that too'. I often end up bringing you up in those conversations and showing them your work, arguing that to the contrary, CNC is merely opening up new avenues in guitar making. I managed to miss this build back in October but it makes a perfect point of this. It seems some people think that CNC means you put any old piece of wood on the bed, press a button, and voilà, a double-inverted arch-top in a five-tone sunburst comes out. The same applies to furniture making, where people fantasize about the wood worker getting a perfect surface with his No 5 plane on a 6'x3' table top, sliding his hand across the wood to get rid of the last shavings and gently sighing in contentment, vs. the evil factory churning out those table tops on huge machines. It's great to know all the methods to skin the proverbial cat, but I don't think anyone in the business resents the invention of the planer/jointer.

Kinda getting out on a tangent here but it's always a pleasure to see your builds. Looking forward to seeing this one complete!
Totally agree! I think people think that making things on CNC is like when Bender wanted a 3D printed guitar. Cool tech, but those of us who aren't dumb, realize that someone still has to program that stuff.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks so much guys! Epizootics I really appreciate that, cheers! And thanks for fighting the good fight for CNC!

After all, it's not the tool it's how you use it... And as with any instrument, you let your curiosity guide you and see what happens.

I totally agree J, yeah I think of that Futurama episode a lot haha! It's funny, when I first got the machine I had a lot to learn and it was frustrating, I felt like progress was so slow. I wanted more than anything to have Bender's machine haha! But then everybody would be doing it I suppose...

But once you push through it and come up with creative solutions to problems it all comes together. You start to owe something to those limitations because they push you towards doing things you might not have thought of.

More pictures soon guys! :)