Mahogony matte black Jaguar/Teisco Hybrid FINISHED!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mahogony matte black Jaguar/Teisco Hybrid FINISHED!

Post by nihilandvoid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Hello all!

well, after acquiring a very nice MIJ Blacktop Jaguar neck from a mate of mine, who had re-fretted it, i've wanted to use it to build my own custom Jaguar.

bodies any shape outside of strats, pauls and teles are super rare in Australia, but every now and then....
This mahogany jaguar body popped up in a shop in Melbourne!
New never used from Guitar Build UK, a really beautiful piece of wood!

After it arrived i started collecting other parts, ive always loved teiscos and vintage quirky guitars and managed to collect some parts over time, including a pair of pickups from a Teisco Tulip guitar and a bridge and tailpiece from some others. The body has no bridge route so my current dilemma is trying to decide which way to go.

I did some crude mock ups with both bridges, the Kawai tailpiece/bigsby bowtie providing a move traditional offset layout, but the hardtail wrap around bridge is really unique as well. I also considered installing a wigsby but that would mean spending more and having to route a cavity, and i dont have a router.... or a drill press.... :fp:
Going for a matte black body (thin skin for quick wear :P) with black guard.
Also threw a RIc hi-gain into the mix... maybe??

some more parts will be arriving tomorrow and ill start painting tomorrow too

Cheers
Alex
Last edited by nihilandvoid on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death is a gentleman too, he makes good losers of us all.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mahogony Partscaster Jaguar/Teisco Hybrid aka I dont even know :P

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Dude that looks awesome! I'd keep it with the 2 Teisco style pickups, it gives it the vibe of a guitar that could have been a '60s factory "copy" of a Jag, so I'd keep it that way.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 pm

These pickups are awesome. I've got them in two guitars and you can really have a lot of fun with them.

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Cheers guys

I’m thinking the tremolo is the way to go, I can always build a hard tail another time

Alex

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Glad you're going with the trem- it keeps the '60s Japan vibe you have with the pickups going, plus it's probably quite a decent trem anyway. I have a very similar-looking one and it works just fine.
Looking forward to seeing this progress! 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 am

antisymmetric wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:48 pm
Glad you're going with the trem- it keeps the '60s Japan vibe you have with the pickups going, plus it's probably quite a decent trem anyway. I have a very similar-looking one and it works just fine.
Looking forward to seeing this progress! 8)
It is a good trem, pretty stable and besides i only use it lightly, and then i get the behind the bridge magic.
8)

Also trying to decide what to do electronics wise.
Im thinking:

3 way slide plate : Neck - Bridge - Mute
Lower control plate : Master Vol - Master Tone 1M pots
The upper horn plate im torn between two options
Upper horn : Vol/Tone Bypass slide (PU's direct to output) - Neck Phase - Bridge Phase (probably more versatile, cheaper option)
or
Lead VT/Rhythm VT slide - Rhythm Volume - Rhythm Tone 1M pots (bit more traditional, more knobs, more money)

most of the remaining parts will arrive tomorrow, if the weather eases up ill start painting as well

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 am

nihilandvoid wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 am
Also trying to decide what to do electronics wise.
Im thinking:
Shadoweclipse13's Master Schematic Page
In case you want to peruse some ideas. I'm always on and am happy to help with wiring. There are a few other guys who regularly post with electronics ideas or help as well. There have been some pretty cool ideas for wiring floating around OSG. Might be worth a Google as well!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:40 am

Started painting today, also gots some more parts and couldn’t help but do a vague mock-up
Matte black looks great
Manage to get some rather worn jaguar plates to help with the vintage look.

In other exciting news! Picked up this killer Jaguar Bass for a bargain price, which came modded with a badass ii bridge, dimarzio j pickups and Schaller tuners. The mods alone were worth the price.

Still pondering on the electronics

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 am

Good find with the Jaguar Bass! My only bass at the moment is a Jag Bass and I love it. I love the matte black too!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 am

nihilandvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:40 am
Started painting today, also gots some more parts and couldn’t help but do a vague mock-up
Matte black looks great
Manage to get some rather worn jaguar plates to help with the vintage look.

In other exciting news! Picked up this killer Jaguar Bass for a bargain price, which came modded with a badass ii bridge, dimarzio j pickups and Schaller tuners. The mods alone were worth the price.

Still pondering on the electronics
Amazing. Four months ago I was inspired to make a very similar jaguar. But I don’t paint. What a perfect matte you’ve got going on there...

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks again guys

I love the Jaguar bass, im so glad i got it, its the best bass ive ever had. The guy had it listed for over a month and it popped up, i figured "ah its probably sold...." but lo and behold!

Settled on the electronics. Basically going for lots of switches, a'la Teisco :P DPDT slides fit nicely into the roller pot slots.

Cant wait to finish this, gonna clear coat the body tomorrow, then let it sit for a week. Then its time to build!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:53 pm

What was your rationale re the two phase switches ? To be Mustang-like ? Or just because you have an extra switch that needs to do something ? Of course you only really need to flip the phase on one pickup. ;)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeah i know i only have to flip the phase for one pickup, but i didnt want to have empty holes, and many odd ball guitars had pointless switches, the worst IMO being the Pleasant SEL switching. I really like the look of jaguars with all the control plates, but i tend to have one setting on a guitar and i rarely change. So basically most of the switches are purely just to fill the holes, and for fun

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 pm

UPDATES

Paint is good enough, its gotten a few bumps and scrapes from being moved around alot while it dried, which i dont really mind since it fits in with all the other worn/vintage parts.

ive fitted the neck, pickguard bridge and vibrato and it looks killer. I had a dilemma with the pickup heights, since they are "preset". i decided that i didnt want to cut the pickguard, mostly because i would have probably screwed it up. the metal used for the pickup covers is quite soft and thin, so i grabbed my nibbler tool and trimmed a few mm off the bottom of the covers and they sit at a much more comfortable height right on top of the pickguard, in case the pickups give me any trouble or something i can easily put stock jaguar pickups in.

anyway pics! cant wait to finish this
excuse the messy work space....

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm

That is a really nice looking instrument, I would be very tempted if I saw it hanging in a local shop.

I like those knobs on a Jaguar, I have a pair of them waiting for purpose, never look right on anything I stick them on.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.