Tuner Suggestions for a JM built

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tuner Suggestions for a JM built

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 am

Hey all!

I'm still collecting parts for my JM built. For now I got the neck (unknown builder but quite good quality so far as I can tell, B&B, CBS sized head) :? and a Staytrem Bridge.
For pickups I'm tending to take used JM Pickups or build in my GFS Surf 90s (extra pickguard of course) till I find the "right ones"
Body will be a Double bound (non f-hole) body from my luthier in either a flat Sonic Grey or some kind of aged Ice Blue Metallic, Matching Headstock.

For now I'm searching for Tuners. What can you suggest? I don't have a problem with the tuners I have on my Thinline Jag (split shaft) a minus on those is the need to cut the string first when restringing - so a pain in the a** in a live setting - but otherwise quite comfy - when doing some wiring etc. and you could just put the "old" strings back on without a problem.

I'll be ordering from Thomann ('cause I need some other stuff and basically don't want to wait for a set coming in on the used market) - they have various models of Kluson, Schaller and Fender in their online shop. What would you suggest?
And also does anyone of you know if these Nickel models do look so brassy in real life?
https://www.thomann.de/at/fender_vintage_tuners_rh.htm , https://www.thomann.de/at/goeldo_mc6ln.htm ?

basically I never had "real issues" with the tuners I have on my guitars (the G string on my Les Pauls and my Viking go flat more often than other strings do but the Jag is pretty stable) - so I also haven't ever seen the need to change them - but on this neck I need new ones 'cause it came without any.

It will have the already mentioned Staytrem Bridge and a Floating Style Vibrato (not Ackermann style (ab)use - but I do use it for quite a few accents on my Jag). Thank you very much!

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuner Suggestions for a JM built

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am

I've decided that in the future I'll be using only high ratio tuners on builds. I have 19:1 Grovers on a recent build and it's just so much nicer than the typical stamped 15:1s that Fender puts on the vintage stuff.

Kluson now has a "Supreme" line of 18:1 stamped tuners and there's also the "Revolution" line of 19:1 die-cast that are meant to resemble stamped ones.

http://www.kluson.com/tuning-machines.html

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuner Suggestions for a JM built

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you!
These look quite good. But I only do see golden ones...could be the mobile version though...

It's a 10mm drilling. Any disadvanteges with adapters 10-6,25mm? Instead of 8,5-6,25mm??