Strings too close of the frets

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
abou
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Strings too close of the frets

Post by abou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:29 am

Hello !

I'm making a jazzmaster body, with a warmoth strat neck, goldo earvana 43mm nut, mastery bridge and vibrato.
I've routed the neck pocket with a depth of 16mm, it results that the strings are sticked to the frets... Can i fix it with the trussroad (i'm not confortable with it) and the bridge, or i have to rout the pocket deeper?

Second question: the earvana nut doesn't match perfectly the edge of the neck, is it normal? The nut is 0,5 mm too short on both sides.

Two pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev18reqly422f ... 7.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0n9vazanvps4 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Thank you very much for your help !

Amaury

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strings too close of the frets

Post by oid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:19 am

if the bridge can not raise the strings off the fret board you must route deeper.

To short on the nut is not an issue, purely aesthetic as long as the string spacing is ok.

EDIT: Regarding the strings on the frets, my advice assumes you have raised your bridge as high as it will go. Seems obvious, but assumptions have a tendency of catching me.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:36 am

Yes, is the bridge is at max height ?

Is the neck pocket perfectly level, ie 16mm front and back (and the neck screwed down flat in the pocket) ?

What is the neck relief (ie do you have a backbow) ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

abou
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by abou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 am

Ok for the nut, thank you :)

The neck relief is flat (standard strat warmoth neck).
The pocket seems flat too, but i did it and I'm not a pro !
When i set up the bridge at max height it seems to be ok, but is it normal to be at an extreme setting ?

Another question, about tuners machines, i have the schaller m135, in line, and there is two levels for the hole. 3 tuners with low level and the 3 others with a higher level, do you know where goes each tuner?
I planned to install two string trees, is it compatible?
O thought they were not staggered..

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm

I mean you can find all of this with a bit of research but your neck pocket seems a little shallow if this is the maximum adjustment of your bridge. But just to be sure; how are you adjusting your bridge? With the posts or just the saddles? That'll make a huge difference.
On the tuners: staggered tuners work like this: EAD strings tall posts, GBE strings short posts. They stagger down
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Just a thought... In the photo you only have one string on the guitar. Without a full set of strings bowing the neck up, I'm sure the single string would rest flat on the frets.