Jazzmaster Build in Progress ... or Two!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzmaster Build in Progress ... or Two!

Post by jvin248 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:22 am

After watching Craigslist and Reverb for a Jazzmaster in the price range they are interesting to me (I tend to buy used, abused, neglected and discarded guitars and then give them a second chance). Like this PRS http://www.tdpri.com/threads/steamed-re ... rs.762673/ or this Tele http://www.tdpri.com/threads/black-cher ... en.661260/. There seem to be fewer JMs out there for sale (players keep them) and few that are wrecked and cheap (players take care of them), and they are popular enough that quite a lot faster turnover than other styles. Also since I have been working on getting my CNC running properly .... first real cuts.

Body number two in the CNC. Reclaimed pine 2x6s, stored outside in the weather for over a year
...This 'Seasons' the wood :whistle:
https://youtu.be/AZvRlcV0zpg
I drew the model in FreeCAD and CAM in Fusion 360, fed by Universal Gcode Sender on an 18 year old pc running Debian Linux and cut on a Shapeoko 3. Here's a picture if the video goes by too quick

Body number one is a poplar cap on a similar reclaimed pine. Neck is an off brand donor for now. I have a new neck designed up but I may change it or make another before cutting. Body started off as a full two inches thick after the glue up with the boards I had. So after machining, I flipped it over and used a manual router on a sled to level the back and then hand plane to between 1-3/4 of the original early 60s and 1-5/8ths of the later 60s and modern ones. Body two is 1-1/2inch thick standard dimensional 2x6 thick.
I wasn't too worried about board orientation and centering the strips. Next one I do I'll do that. I figured one or both of these bodies would get the inevitable CNC cutting catastrophe and they would be mangled and back on the scrap pile. Turned out a little better than I feared.

Of course, the body will need a pickguard. This is a piece of 'Masonite' hardboard, I used this because it matches regular pickguard thickness but I may use this or a white plastic sheet I have that is thinner for body two.

Then I add a few more bits I have around to see how everything fits. I was going to paint this or do a black stain on both the body and pickguard but the poplar green and the browns and creme covers seem to be working together. The green changes to brown with sun exposure so I may investigate how to keep it green. Or I'll spray paint it a yellow rattle can spray I have left over from one of the kids projects -- it's almost TV Yellow.
Side note: The workbench the guitar sits on, and that I use for hand planing and other build tasks, I've had for twenty years and gotten it from my grandfather. I think he bought it second hand, but it was built around 1900.

Body two I'm thinking of either staining 'natural' or maybe a fabric top. Undecided yet.

What colors are popular for Jazzmasters? What should I put on these?
Like they say about potato chips, you can't have just one Jazzmaster .... what woods and stain/paint/etc should I do for number Three?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Build in Progress ... or Two!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 am

Dude! Masonite pickguard for that body with a clearcoat would be amazing looking!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Build in Progress ... or Two!

Post by jvin248 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:59 pm

That's what I ended up doing. 'Natrual' stain (it has a little amber in it as I was putting it down) and then polyurethane clear finish (that also seems to have a little amber yellow to it). First coats went on today. Several more days of coats and I'll see how it's going.

The second body I decided to do a fabric top. So that takes a lot of poly to build thickness passed the cloth fibers. Then sand back and more poly. I've done this on Telecaster bodies before so I know it works but it's slow.

The natural poplar color with the masonite board shades really reminded me of this type of worn canvas military messenger bag. And why I decided to carry on with what looked like great serendipity. We'll see if it continues after the finish is applied.