Matchy Matchy

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Matchy Matchy

Post by solfege » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm

So as detailed in this other post over here, I'm building a Jag based on a Rosser ash body and a late 70s vintage Musicmaster neck.

My question is about finishing. I've sort of settled on trying to get a body matched to neck look like this thing (found on this thread).

But I'm not sure how best to achieve that.

Here's the best picture I've managed to take showing the color variation between the totally unfinished body and the neck.

Any suggestions from the more finishing-experienced among you about how to get a good color match there would be super appreciated. Bonus points for a process that an apartment dweller with limited experience could achieve.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Matchy Matchy

Post by DrQuasar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 pm

This method from Dan Erlewine would probably work. Plus no spray.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 pm
This method from Dan Erlewine would probably work. Plus no spray.
Saw that, and considering it, but wondering how it'd interact with grain filler, sealer, and some sort of clear / topcoat to finish an Ash body. Maple as I understand it is a bit easier to deal with in these respects.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

I know lacquer-based clear will yellow so you wouldn't want to use that. I know polycrylic stays clear and its water-based so less fumes. Minwax has some waterbased stains too. If you use products from one line, then you know that compatibility from filler/sealer to stain to clear won't be an issue.

I doubt there is a way to ensure that the color and body colors stay the same as the finish ages.

I would get some scrap pieces of ash and do some color testing. Just remember to label and document everything really well or if you're like me, you'll forget what you did to which scraps and you'll have to start over.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

tru-oil is pretty easy to use. As you build up coats it adds color, so you could stop when you were happy with the match.
There are a couple different ways to apply it, I prefer to rub very thin coats into the wood with a rag. It takes longer to build up, but it cures faster, and cuts down on how much time you spend knocking back in between coats.
here's a photo of a body i did. it was just as pale as yours when i started..
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks, both. Yeah, Rosser was awesome and included a bunch of scrap pieces with the guitar, so I can do multiple tests if I want.

Going back and forth between water / oil based. I'm thinking oil just b/c less issues with moisture and guitar bodies. Tru-oil is definitely something I'm considering a lot. What I've been trying to get a sense of is how much color it'll add. Con-Tiki's picture's really helpful there.

I'm also slowly making peace with the idea that I'm not going to get a completely perfect 70s Fender / MusicMan 'natural' match, but i'd like to get close because I think it'd be a cool sort of thematic thing to do with the 70s neck and the white tuners I have.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 am

Also, Con-Tiki, did you grain fill that?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 am

I believe my partscaster tele is Tru-Oil and is a similar color to the example you posted. I didn’t do it though, so I’m not sure if any kind of tint/stain was used along with it.

Sorry for the potential thread derail, but what does your Rosser Jag body weigh?

I know he does one-off for ebay sale and probably provides specific weights for those, but on his web page all bodes are listed at “6+ pounds” which is a little offputting.

He appears to be the best priced option for a universal routed JM body and I can live with a little extra weight for cheap, but I don’t want a total pig.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 am
I believe my partscaster tele is Tru-Oil and is a similar color to the example you posted. I didn’t do it though, so I’m not sure if any kind of tint/stain was used along with it.

Sorry for the potential thread derail, but what does your Rosser Jag body weigh?

I know he does one-off for ebay sale and probably provides specific weights for those, but on his web page all bodes are listed at “6+ pounds” which is a little offputting.

He appears to be the best priced option for a universal routed JM body and I can live with a little extra weight for cheap, but I don’t want a total pig.
I have not actually weighed it yet, but I mean to. Now I have some motivation. It's not what I would call light, but it's a nice piece of wood. I posted bigger pictures in my other thread. More in a bit once I find the postal scale I know we have *somewhere* around here.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

solfege wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm
marqueemoon wrote:

I have not actually weighed it yet, but I mean to. Now I have some motivation. It's not what I would call light, but it's a nice piece of wood. I posted bigger pictures in my other thread. More in a bit once I find the postal scale I know we have *somewhere* around here.
Actually it's a bit under 6 pounds. 5 pounds 13.6 ounces.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Did the naptha thing that's supposed to give you a bit of a preview of how a clear finish / tru-oil will darken things while I had it out to weigh it.

Color seems fairly close to my eyes. Seems as if I'd want to avoid yellowing / amber tints, I think. But obviously it'd need to get darker. People are suggesting it will with more coats of Tru-Oil, right?

I think I'll order up a can of that and a grain filler to do some testing.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm

solfege wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm
solfege wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm
marqueemoon wrote:

Actually it's a bit under 6 pounds. 5 pounds 13.6 ounces.
Thanks! That’s heavier than I was hoping for, but I’m thinking in my case the swimming pool rout would help somewhat. Sounds like the quality is there though.

Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:21 pm

^^^
yeah, traditional style Jags have really limited routing compared to JMs. It's about as solid a piece of wood as imaginable (or two pieces).

I have to admit I'd love to get one of those pine tele bodies he occasionally seems to do.