Building a Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Building a Jazzmaster

Post by j mascis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey guys.

Not the body or neck, those will be sourced, so more like assembling one.

So far sourcing the parts has been overwhelming. The links in the parts thread mostly don't work.
I want to build something with quality components (like an AVRI/danocaster level) at the best prices.
My concern is compatibility. Like I bought some thimbles to insert a bridge into, but I'm not positive (nor was the seller positive) if they'd fit an American/AVRI style body. From what I can tell, bridge plates are standardized, so any plate will fit a JM, but what about quality? Is a cheap one made in China any worse than a genuine Fender one? How do you guys go about tackling this?

Do you know where Danocaster gets his necks? I want something of that quality, if possible.

What about wiring? Can I get that all in one place? Do you guys shield the insides?

Also, since I don't have a paint shop, I guess my only option is a natural stain. What do you guys use for this?

Any tips you can pass on from those of you who did this and made mistakes? Can you recommend little parts that I might overlook or any other advice from your experience. What type of budget should I realistically expect? Thanks!

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building a Jazzmaster

Post by oid » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:57 pm

You do not need a paint shop to do paint, nitro can be brushed on. The main thing is keeping it the proper consistency, to thin and the brush will not be able to pick it up, to thick and you end up with a finish full of brush marks that takes a great deal of sanding to get smooth. You can buy it premixed for brushing, just need to remember to not use it from the can, pour out what you need and seal the can back up otherwise the thinner evaporates out leaving you with too thick a lacquer. There will be a little more work with the wet/dry sand paper to get everything good and smooth than there would be with a sprayer (assuming technique is good!) but it is not much extra work when it is just a single guitar.

You can also use plain old paint, modern porch paint is plenty tough and easy to work with, the oil paints are even tougher but dry slower and cleanup is more work. If you take the time to sand the finish good as smooth it will look quite good and not at all like paint from a can. With oil paints you can even layer just as one does with nitro, a certain base coat followed by a translucent top coat which forms a new color and adds depth. Such effects are tricky with the brush, but perfectly doable for the patient and determined. Oil paint has the real advantage over other types since you have a wide variety of compatible clear coats if you want that look.

Brushing is slower than spraying, but you do not have to clean the sprayer, so it ends up being about the same.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm

There are differences in the roller pots & knobs so make sure yours match. There are complete wiring kits out there with good quality parts. Some shield, I don't but I don't have "dirty power". There are several different diameter of bridge thimbles, get your body and measure the holes. If I couldn't spray a finish, even with spray cans, I would use Wudtone http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitar_Kits/Ac ... -Kits.aspx I think it's a MUCH better than stain.

Budget?? I suppose I have $750 or so into my JM but it has a fancy block/binding neck. Here's a pic with Wudtone finish on alder.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 pm

kdanie wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm
There are complete wiring kits out there with good quality parts.
I'm seeing them yeah, cool. But what if someone wants specific capacitors or 500k audio taper pots? Is the kit worth it in that case? Seems it's better to just buy all the parts and assemble it from those. What type of wiring should I grab if I want to wire it myself?

Would https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JY ... CP6D&psc=1 do? I think that's the wire they're using in the kits, but I'm not sure.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:17 pm

j mascis wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:36 pm
So far sourcing the parts has been overwhelming. The links in the parts thread mostly don't work.
I want to build something with quality components (like an AVRI/danocaster level) at the best prices.
My concern is compatibility. Like I bought some thimbles to insert a bridge into, but I'm not positive (nor was the seller positive) if they'd fit an American/AVRI style body. From what I can tell, bridge plates are standardized, so any plate will fit a JM, but what about quality? Is a cheap one made in China any worse than a genuine Fender one? How do you guys go about tackling this?
If you really want 'AVRI' level parts you should buy AVRI aftermarket parts. Darren Riley or Angela or Guitar Parts Factory are good for these. They quote part numbers and have good detail on what fits with what. If you know the part number you can go to ebay or reverb for any cheaper vendors.
http://darrenriley.com/
https://www.angela.com/guitarparts.aspx
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm

AVRI part numbers ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... A_SISD.pdf

If you go for cheaper parts you take your chances / requires more homework. Pickguard might need some filing. Pots and knobs might not fit. Check tuners carefully (holes etc). It's all part of the fun. ;)

No need for cloth-covered wire. Regular insulated hookup wire as used in all modern guitars is fine. And a cap is a cap - don't fall for the expensive ones. But if you really want a big fat orange one it should cost you about a buck.
EDIT:
But if I wanted to buy everything for wiring from one place knowing it would all work together I'd probably go for one of these ...
http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Wiring-Kit ... _2513.html
It has split shaft CTS pots - you just need knobs for those.
Allparts also has a kit, which may be cheaper all-up depending on where you are.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Jazzmaster ... 2537140944
Last edited by timtam on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Awesome, thanks for that part number list. Very helpful.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am

I ordered a guitar neck today from Guitar Mill.

Hopefully they are great necks. Dan Strain said good things about them, and I love my Dano, so I'm just banking on that.

Went with the C profile as it has similar thickness and taper to my '65.

They said 9 to 12 weeks to build. Yikes. Guess I will be working on the body and electronics for a while. Can anyone recommend a good value (no more than $50) aftermarket pickguard that will fit to American made specs? I've seen some of the $15 ones from China that look decent, but I don't trust much from China lasting very long or fitting right.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am

j mascis wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:36 pm
Hey guys.

Not the body or neck, those will be sourced, so more like assembling one.

Do you know where Danocaster gets his necks? I want something of that quality, if possible.

What about wiring? Can I get that all in one place? Do you guys shield the insides?

Also, since I don't have a paint shop, I guess my only option is a natural stain. What do you guys use for this?

Any tips you can pass on from those of you who did this and made mistakes? Can you recommend little parts that I might overlook or any other advice from your experience. What type of budget should I realistically expect? Thanks!
It sounds like you kinda want to do some of the stuff on yr own, but it sounds like you WANT finish options and stuff. Man it sounds like MJT is where you need to be looking. For ~$700 you can get a guitar body and neck in whatever shape/style you want finished in literally like any custom color you could possibly think of, and not only that but they will relic it or not relic it in whatever way you could possibly think of... brass tacks their levels of customization, especially for the price, is kind of insane. Figure out what specs you want (profile, dots or blocks and binding or pearl dots or matching headstock or not), then just put the hardware and electronics of your choose into the thing and have an amazing, close-as-possible version of what you’re really going for.

I wholeheartedly recommend MJT for this guitar for you

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks, appreciate that thought, and maybe next time, because I've already bought some stuff and can't go back now.

I have a nice light weight alder body coming and ordered the neck. I made sure with the sellers both will fit (within reason, might have to sand a little). Bought an authentic trem today for a decent price. Looks like $600 will be the total price. I'll just natural finish it. Personally really dig natural finish, though I don't know what people used in the pics I've seen.

What I have left to do is find a decent value pick-guard and also figure out if i am going to buy all the electronics and do them myself, or get a kit. Since it's the first time, I was leaning toward a kit, but since I don't want 1meg pots and would have to replace them anyway, parting it out might make more sense.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am
For ~$700 you can get a guitar body and neck in whatever shape/style you want finished in literally like any custom color you could possibly think of, and not only that but they will relic it or not relic it in whatever way you could possibly think of...
Unless you want non-relic'd. It's still a good deal, especially since they will match colors, but yeah I've asked them and they will not do nos finish

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Didn’t read the whole thread and see that you’d already started. Still though - MJT man for the body! Figure out exactly what you want and worry no more about it

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm
Didn’t read the whole thread and see that you’d already started. Still though - MJT man for the body! Figure out exactly what you want and worry no more about it
Well it's good to know for next time! Thanks man.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Annnnnddddd just saw the reply haha

I didn’t know you really liked the natural thing I thought you were bummed about not having finish options. In that case man, yeah, for natural bodies that’ll remove a lot of stress for you because staining is SO EASY but I would definitely do a clear coat over top, get that Costello Jazzmaster look going on. Is the neck you ordered plain dots/no binding?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:16 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am
For ~$700 you can get a guitar body and neck in whatever shape/style you want finished in literally like any custom color you could possibly think of, and not only that but they will relic it or not relic it in whatever way you could possibly think of...
Unless you want non-relic'd. It's still a good deal, especially since they will match colors, but yeah I've asked them and they will not do nos finish
Dumb as hell, yeah. There were about 10 seconds before I bought my thin skin where I almost bought a special run AV65 jazzmaster that was from Dave’s that was basically a thin skin but had no matching headstock, or maybe it was just the OTM American Original? Anyway I got a hold of them cuz I wanted to just have the guitar shipped to them and have them do the headstock only to be as close as they were willing to make it and they refused and would only do it if they could refin the body too.

Makes sense from the POV of like, nothing we make has to be PERFECT this way so we don’t have to deal with returns and Shit because of a shipping guffaw or whatever, but as a consumer it’s annoying.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm
staining is SO EASY but I would definitely do a clear coat over top, get that Costello Jazzmaster look going on. Is the neck you ordered plain dots/no binding?
I bet it is...for someone who has done it before!
I have no idea how to do it. Thanks for the clear coat tip. Can you list or link me the products to get that look done right? There was a thread on here where the guy did an awesome natural stain and I can't find it now. Wanted to post it to ask how he did it. I'll keep digging.

The neck I ordered has clay dots, no binding, 9.5 radius, 1.65 nut, C profile (.83-.90) and vintage 6230 frets. It's primarily going to be a rhythm guitar, and I like smaller frets for rhythm.

PS. I dig those special run '65s like at Dave's and Wildwood. The 9.5 radius, 42mm nut, taller frets, and matching head stock separate them from the regular AVRIs. They're great for lead, okay for Rhythm. I decided I want to build one that's better for rhythm and okay for lead.