Building a Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building a Jazzmaster

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am

Yeah I ended up with an Ocean Turq Thinskin Jazzmaster and it’s my dream guitar :) funny to me to hear someone say it’s only ok for rythum because to me it’s flawless for any application, but in terms of the sounds I typically associate with rythum guitar, the jazzmaster just has it, ya know what I mean?

Sadly I can’t give you exact directions on what to do because I’m inexpierenced as well. I’ve stained before just not used clear coat. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t post in here about that. Maybe change the title of the thread to specifically ask for help and it’ll get more attention from someone who knows.

Staining it’s self is great though. I straight up just spill a little of it on the wood and use a rag to smooth it out/spread it. Very forgiving and doesn’t streak like paint because it’s just sleeping into the wood instead of coating it, ya know? I bought classic walnut for mine thinking it’d be way darker but it was pretty light and that was my only regret. Otherwise it was hilariously easy. Yr idea I think is gonna be pretty easy for you.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Cool, man.
I have that same Ocean Turquoise one. They're fantastic. The stock pickups are a bit bright, so I'm in the process of switching them out for Antiquities. That's my only issue. The rhythm thing was just preference. I prefer 6230 vintage frets over the 6105 stock for rhythm. I look forward to when they were a little and I get to take them down. 6105 is nice for lead. Bending and everything is so easy even with low action. But I feel like I'm floating too high above the fretboard for chord work. It's subtle and not a big deal. I use it for both easily.

Did you put a mastery or staytrem in yours?

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am

Can anyone recommend some places to get good pickguards?

Max budget $50, but since pickguards are simply plastic it would be cool to be under $25. Are the Chinese pickguards around $15 garbage? Not sure why some are $50 and some $15 when they look the same. Are there really drastically different plastic materials?

Also any sites that have unique colors or patterns would be cool to browse if you know any.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Ebay and Aliexpress. Cheap enough that you can buy a couple of colours and use the one you like best. Although once you've drilled one set of holes, going to a new supplier could mean some re-drills. But there is less variability with JM guards as they don't have to mate with control plates like jags (which can require some guard filing to fit). And good suppliers show their inter-hole distances so you can check. Chances are the more expensive guards from 'name' suppliers come from much the same factories.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks.

I've read the cheap pickguards are pixelated and done on printers. Is that right?

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by j mascis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:53 pm

So I'm pretty far along in this and nearing the end. I had to had a tech wire the humbuckers, but the rest has gone pretty smoothly so far.
Had an issue today putting in the bridge thimbles. The Saylor body has thimble holes that were too small. I widened them and now that is perfect, but I fear I might have gone a mm too deep. Will this cause weird problems (vibrations, noises) at the bridge?