Jaguar Bridge Pickup

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
woolweather
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar Bridge Pickup

Post by woolweather » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks in advance for the help.

I know there have been threads about this, but I feel like my setup and what I'm looking for is a bit different.

Guitar is a Squier VM Jag. After being a tele player for years, this was a nice change. Easy to play. Just didn't like the original DD pickups much.
Swapped in some SD Cools Rails (separate neck and bridge models). After playing with wiring and pot values, having the neck in parallel is sweet. Has a zingy, almost jag/strat snap with better bottom end. The bridge doesn't fit though. Low volume and nasally no matter wiring and pot value.

Playing style is mostly alt-rock and shoegaze. Fairly clean, and when I want dirty and compressed I'm ok with pedal tones. I have one guitar set aside for heavier metal stuff into a Boogie or simulator. This guitar doesn't need to reach that territory. More Radiohead, Muse, My bloody Valentine. The neck covers lots of rhythm sounds. I need something for that extra push.

I like more vintage than modern, I would say. My clean channel is a Mesa Subway Rocket. Other guitars have Wilde L280TN, SD Lil 59 Bridge (in parallel), SD Jazz Neck, Dim EJ Custom Bridge, Dim Area T Bridge, XL500 in a bridge position. Have heard lots of JBs, Distortions, Full size 59s, full Gibson range, Fender Noiseless, most Lace pickups in other guitars as I worked in a music store for about 8 years. If it came stock in a major line, I have some experience with it. The wildes are the best pickups I've ever heard and dead silent. The lil 59 surprised me, but it took some fussing with wiring and pots. Would like something slightly different than the 59, but maybe the difference between the tele scale and bridge and the Jag is enough. Single sized hot 'Tron sound is what I have in my head (been thinking about a Cabronita or Gretsch for years, but maybe that just comes later).

I'm open to anything that can be bought online, but would be partial to SD, Dimarzio, Wilde or Fender. Just easier to get and known to me.

TLDR: Looking for vintage hot style single sized pickup for alt style Jag.

Thanks

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Bridge Pickup

Post by hpr_hpr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:32 pm

I think the scooped mids might be what you are objecting to . . . maybe try a SD hot Jag bridge? or if you are a bit more adventurous try the J03 here http://sentellpickups.net/Jaguar.html alternatively contact him (or any other small boutique shop directly and describe what you are after.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".